Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Premium with Terminal Services v Premium Web

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Premium with Terminal Services v Premium Web

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice to help me make a choice on which way to go.

I need to set up a new installation of Premium 2009 that will allow a number of users access via the Internet. One of the main features these remote users will need are Dashboards.

I have never used Premium for Web so I'm wondering if I should go with that or install normal Premium and allow access via Terminal Server!

Any thoughts/experiences on the pros and cons of either system would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bpitraining
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Premium with Terminal Services v Premium Web

With regards to Dashboards, with the web database you cannot create a custom dashboard, only view and filter existing dashboards. With terminal services you do have this ability.

There are several other functions that are available in the application-based database that are not available in the web-based database:

- Adminstrative and File functions (define fields, manage users, database maintenance, import/export, backup/restore, create new database)

- Integration with Outlook calendar (can still record emails in history via Outlook)

- Integration with MS Word

The main advantages of using ACT! for Web are:

- Database can be accessed via the web without the need for network access

- Centralized administration of the program and database (no need to manage or update individual installs)

- Simplified deployment...setup is done only on web server

For more information on the both products, please visit http://www.act.com/products/all/index.cfm or call our Corporate Sales Department at (888) 855-5222.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bpitraining
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

With regards to Dashboards, with the web database you cannot create a custom dashboard, only view and filter existing dashboards. With terminal services you do have this ability.

There are several other functions that are available in the application-based database that are not available in the web-based database:

- Adminstrative and File functions (define fields, manage users, database maintenance, import/export, backup/restore, create new database)

- Integration with Outlook calendar (can still record emails in history via Outlook)

- Integration with MS Word

The main advantages of using ACT! for Web are:

- Database can be accessed via the web without the need for network access

- Centralized administration of the program and database (no need to manage or update individual installs)

- Simplified deployment...setup is done only on web server

For more information on the both products, please visit http://www.act.com/products/all/index.cfm or call our Corporate Sales Department at (888) 855-5222.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks Greig,

Based on that I think I'll go with using Terminal Services as the main advantages of ACT! For Web i.e.. Centralised Admin and Simplified Deployment are basically going to be the same when using Terminal Services.

Regards

Mark.