Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Premium for Web and Premium v10

Loyal Listener

Premium for Web and Premium v10

Whilst I have issues my with network sync being sorted (by UK Support) I can't migrate to Premium for Web as I believe App sync will only work with Premium.

I also understand that I can't run Premium for Web on the same server as Premium.

In which case will the following scenario work:

1. Existing Premium server (w23k) main database
2. New Win2K Premium for web server with a remote database from Main
3  scheduled sync to keep both in check

Database records total 180K and climbing with three discrete remote users.

TIA

TIA

Paul M Tate
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Premium for Web and Premium v10

Yes, your idea should work.... but:
a) What's the problem you're having with Network Sync?
b) You should still be able to do Application sync with APFW. Obviusly, the server needs to be logged in and ACT! open
Loyal Listener

Both Internet Sync and NetSync (both inside a VPN tunnel) fail (time out - even though ActDiag set to 1400,1400,3600)when I have around 5000 new records for some reason the same connections work with App Sync.

We are testing using the IP address rather than the machine name but so far no difference, am waiting for s to hit fan tomorrow as I created 7500 records on Friday and two users haven't synched yet.

TIA

Paul M Tate

Loyal Listener

They are being imported from client records (excel spreadsheets) to allow my client to analyse and check against there existing data
TIA

Paul M Tate

So, are you trying to merge new information into the database?

That is, do the imported records already exist in ACT! and you're bringing new data to update specific fields?
Where is the Excel data coming from?
How are you expecting your users to compare the data?

If that's the case, depending on your answers, I may have a better way to achieve this.
Loyal Listener

The excel data is merged directly into the main database which is not normally used by an end user, the users then sync.

Some records already exist but at the moment very few 5% say

Various Client CRM systems via excel

sorry, this bit I have no real idea, I just support the server, I understand the data is used to isolate suitable candidates and then contact (email/.telephone) to see if they would be interested in meeting/speaking with the client at some future event
TIA

Paul M Tate

That's a lot of new data to be adding... how often do you expect to be doing that?
How big do you expect the database to grow?
Loyal Listener

Not sure how big it will grow, over Christmas to now we have added 40,000 records

I know there will be a further set of Excel sheets this week, the workaround I have is to sync in small batches which uses a lot if my time.
TIA

Paul M Tate

If there was a large number of duplicate records that needed merging, I'd suggest using itImport - it's faster and would only be updating the fields (so less data to sync)... as well as being able to update sub-tables.

But adding records at that rate is an issue for two reasons:

1. The sync is designed for data changes, not to roll out such large amounts of new data
2. You might need to look at the database size growing beyond the limits (unless using Premium ST)

Maybe the answer is to use ACT! Premium for Web only and leave out the sync issues?