Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Premium 2009 ST w/existing SQL Server 2005?

lr

Premium 2009 ST w/existing SQL Server 2005?

Hello,

We already have SQL Server 2005 running on a W2K Server box in our domain. Is it possible I can buy just the ST version and run it with our existing SQL server (and not install Express)? If so, how would the install work?

thanks

Nickel Contributor

Re: Premium 2009 ST w/existing SQL Server 2005?

Unfortunately your problem does not exist with SQL so much as it does with your Server operating system.

ACT! 2009 cannot be installed on Win 2K Server, it must be Win 2K3 or higher for Servers.

As for which version of ACT! you need to buy, the ST version includes SQL 2005 Server, and costs more on account of that. If you're attempting to save money by employing your pre-existing SQL 2005 Server licensing, you want to purchase the EX version.

Unfortunately, your Server operating system is the more pressing issue.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
lr

You're correct; I was confusing the EX and ST suffixes.

Does ACT! actually have to be installed on the server? Or can it just run on the workstations?

Could I install EX on an XP workstation and share a single database for all my workstations?

thanks

Nickel Contributor

Yup.

No problem.

The only limitation is by MS, which will only support 10 concurrent connections on a database supported by Windows XP or Vista.

In fact, it only supports 10 concurrent connectiosn period. WHich means if two users had Excel files open on a share located on the ACT! server, you'd only be left with 8 available database connections.

If thes limits are not problematic, proceed without worry.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca