Nickel Super Contributor

Preferences - rollover activities

13.0.401.0 HF2

Windows XP SP3

Changed names of the files (relating to earlier versions) in %appdata%\act

New act data file auto-created itself before even opening ACT

Tried KB 14618

Tried rolling over activities and then above KB again

No luck…will not remember that he doesn’t want activities rolled over.

I also noticed that the contact layout did not get "remembered."  Have to select it every time.

Please, please...where do we go from here?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Preferences - rollover activities

Rita,
Go to Tools > Preferences, then under the General tab look at the Personal Files section. For the File Types of "Internet Links" and "Dictionaries", is the correct path there for where your Preferences should be? Also, go to your Windows registry and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACT\OutlookHistoryService\Desktop. Look on the right at the value for "Qpath". is this also correct?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Super Contributor

Thanks, Greig.

Checked on my own machine (issue was actually on client's machine), and can report as follows:

• When looking for the netlnks path, I found (in roaming\act folder) the following folders: Act Data, Act for Windows 11, Act for Windows 12, Act for Windows 13.  The netlinks folder is in the AFW 12 folder, even though I have AFW 13 installed.  Makes me wonder if there shouldn't be some cleanup of these folders that we should do manually before installing the upgrade??????
  • There is no qpath entry in the registry.
Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Ok, I forgot for a moment that there is no longer a Quepath with ACT! 2011. As for the ohers paths, I would change those to the correct path for ACT! 2011. Then rebuild preferences by deleting the ACT Data and ACT for Windows (version#) folders. Make sure ACT! and all MS Office applications are closed prior to deleting those folders. Also a reboot of your machine after deleting them would be a good idea as well.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Nickel Super Contributor

Changed the paths, deleted all the appdata\act folders.

Seems to significantly improve db open time...

however, it has not resolved the issue of remembering scheduling preferences (don't rollover), or remembering the layout.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Nickel Super Contributor

Confess I did not reboot as you suggested.

Your suggestion would be to reboot before re-opening ACT! after deleting the folders?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT

Yes, this reloads the new preferences file to your Windows user profile.

Greig Hollister