Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Practical limits to number and size of attachments?

Copper Contributor

Re: Practical limits to number and size of attachments?

Sorry, I must not be making myself clear Mike. I'll try with this....

"If I want to reply/forward, I do that in Outlook "

That only works if th email is stored in YOUR Outlook PST file.

How can I reply/forward or view the attachment(s) if the original email is in your Outlook mailbox - not mine?

...rd

Platinum Elite Contributor

Oh ... I see. You mean if ANOTHER user wants to send an email that I had attached.

That's a good point, and one I hadn't thought of as I usually set up mail servers for users who want the data shared.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Your point is well taken.

For those who do not use a corporate mail server - for whatever reason - saving the entire email in ACT makes a lot of sense, in terms of sharing and having a single point of staorage.

That brings us back to the problem of folder size and SQL. Without a way to archive older attachments in a way that they can be cataloged and retreived at a later date, the only other option may be what your friend is working on - find a way to trick SQL into seeing multiple attachment folders as one.

...rd

For those on the cheap, you could even use Gmail as a server.

But the attachments folder is an issue for lots of other reasons, and should be addressed. It's not the size, but the number of files in the directory that causes issues.

As I said earlier in this thread, I would speak to Ingo at http://www.crmaddon.com/ - see if he completed his code that splits the attachment folder and adjusts the pointers in SQL
Bronze Contributor

Mike while I agree an addon to move these to a proper structure would be great given we have had 6 years of the current ACT this should have been addressed internally as many people are not hitting some real roadblocks given ACT makes no mention of limits for stored files.

Rather than adding glitzy features this is a major problem which should have been addressed by Sage and not keeping their head in a bucket about the problems it causes in the real world.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

100% Paul ... and with ACT! 2012, they haven't even added any worthwhile features (unless you're a Gmail user)
Copper Contributor

We're also concerned about the amount of files in the attachments folder.

We have about 435000 files (44.6Gb in size) No problems with our backup system, but very slow performance.

This is the function I would pick if I could only have ONE thing fixed in ACT!.

1. To be able to have the attachments in a folder structure to properly support large volumes - even if it was something simple like just creating a new sub-folder for every 10,000 items

2. To add security to prevent users seeing the documents in the share if they didn't have access to this item they are attached to in ACT!

We are in the same situation.  Our database has over 105,000 attachments (35GB) and performance can be painfully slow.  I recently upgraded to 2012 hoping it would improve, but it actually got worse because the new Universal Serach feature started trying to index all the attachment and brought the system to a halt and ran the server out of hard disk space.

I talked to an Act Tech and he said attachments should be less than 10GB and suggested I get rid of some older stuff.  That seems like a good idea to speed things up, but what's the best way to do this?  I would like to keep the last 3 years of data in the current database and then export everything to an 'archive database' from the remaining years, but there's no suggested way from Act to do this.  I don't want to lose anything in the process either that's why I don't want to delete anything.

Andy

Copper Contributor

This is certainly an issue for all of us.

1. I have thought about archiving data to a second database but what happens when the original database is modified later on?
  2. Does one have to continually modify both databases in order to continue archiving?
  3. Or perhaps archiving could take place annually into separate and distinct databases?

I have more questions than answers at this point...rd