Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

[ Edited ]

.@.jontaylor

The problem the community has Jon is with Swiftpage not being proactive in providing information in a timely fashion and without our having to continuously prod for answers to important questions that have commercial impact on customers. If Swiftpage have closed or abandoned a published issue, the latter I believe to be the accurate term, then please have the good grace tell the community. Go back to posts about problems with Auto-attach and be proactive in responding. Not leave customers hanging.
You will know I've posted elsewhere on this and it isn't because I like spending my day posting on this, it is about getting the most up to date information so I can offer best advice. In this case I have a 22 user site hanging onto Outlook 2010 so that Auto-attach, critical to how they use Act!, continues for later upgrades which they desperately are wanting to do as is their hosting provider to get them into a later version of Office. That's reasonable isn't it?
I'd like Swiftpage to A/ understand that and B/ operate on that basis.       Thank you

.@neil_act

I understand  your argument Neil and yes, Zoho is a powerful and progressive product which does eat into Act! market share, I know that because I have customers move to it from Act!. However Act! holds a position in the marketplace where, by nature of it being a Windows installed product as well as web capable, provides useful unique solutions to many. In terms of your issue with Outlook sync and the exhaustive detail of working with Swiftpage you so usefully published here, is remarkable and a credit to you. For myself, I didn't have faith in the sync integration as provided at that time and with which you had issue. We chose, at that time, not to recommend it to clients.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

[ Edited ]

Hi Neil,

I understand your frustration.

I have for a long time recommended using Act4Outlook which just works with practical features answering all your problems.

See https://www.keystroke.ca/en/brand/Product/act4outlook.html

And it's only $37 one-off purchase! Worth every penny/cent !!

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

Hi David,

Yes I am using Act4Outlook, and it works very well

Bronze Elite Contributor

David,

The problems that Neil was having relate to synchronisation of Outlook and Act! rather than integration with email which is not the function of Act4Outlook.

Graeme Leo

Administrator

@gleo

I think you're right that we could be doing a better job of keeping you guys updated on the community when there are changes to defects.

We do post a list of every defect fixed with each release, but you're right that there's no way to track defects that end up being closed (though this is only a very small minority of defects).

I think this is something we can start doing right now - I'll keep a list of every thread which discusses a particular defect (confirmed with a defect ID) and I'll update the thread with any updates from the dev team regarding that defect.

Now, do bear in mind that a lot of defects sit untouched, with no updates at all, for lengths of time as higher priority defects are resolved - and then one day put into a development sprint, resolved and released very quickly.

If you have any other ideas on how we could improve communication on this topic, I'd be happy to hear it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Jon,

I suggest that you make use of the Status  attribute and that a status of  'Assigned Defect Number'  be allocated to threads where Swiftpage has issued a defect number. Then they are readily grouped. Such as was once done for Share Your Ideas as here..... 

Status.png

You might like to commence with a defect my client has a strong interest in; Defect number D-07472, first issued September 2017 I believe. :-) 

Graeme Leo

Administrator

Thanks @gleo - I'll take a look at this.