Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Hello Act! Aficionados ...

After a VERY frustrating week last week with Level 3 support at Swiftpage, they finally admitted (or, if I am to believe them, they finally "discovered") a problem in v19 with Outlook integration. Apparently they have at least one other case that came in later in the week. I am alerting the community because there are three separate problems that you may not know about and, while they may be specific to those using v19 on Win7 with Outlook 2013 (as I've been told by Swiftpage), the problems may be deeper than that. Worth checking before you have the disaster we had with all of our appointments for the next two years being deleted in Act! (however, retained in Outlook).

These problems were not present prior to upgrading to v19.  We have Act! 19.0.147.0, Update 4.  We have Outlook 2013 (32 bit) 15.0.4893.1000. Here are the three things you might want to check out on your systems. If you do find a problem, please notify Swiftpage asap because you know that they only get up off their fat butts when enough of us scream (sad, but true!).

Problem #1: In the calendar, try copying an appointment (click on appointment -> Edit -> Copy) and then pasting it somewhere on the calendar (Edit -> Paste). In our case, this throws and 'Object' error and the paste fails.

Problem #2: In your systray, you will see the icon for the Outlook Integration. If you right-click this and look under the Outlook options, you will see an option to view the History panel. Two separate issues here: a) the History should be a 'running' history with all your syncs showing up over time (this is why the little calendar boxes allow you to put in From/To information). In our case, the History is deleting itself at random points throughout the day so we never have more that 8-10 syncs (we sync every 15 minutes) at a time.  The second issue here is the calendar on the History panel shows only today and no other dates. Now, this may be an extension of the problem with the history deleting itself (e.g., nothing beyond today's date to show) but I can't be sure because the history never gets beyond one day. Previous versions of Act! had all the days showing with all those not available being grayed out.

Problem #3: (This is the BIG one). If you have your Act/Outlook sync set to 2-way, whatever you have set in the 'Advanced' preferences as to 'Select days on calendar to synchronize' will put you at risk of losing those appointments (in Act! only).  For us, we had it set to 30 days ago/2 years in future, and we lost all of those appointments. But, interestingly, these deletes only occurred after 20+ successful consecutive syncs and after nothing had changed in our calendars to initiate a 'delete' call!!! To add to the mystery, the appointments were retained in Outlook (it was only in Act! that the appointments were deleted). After several attempts to solve this myself (restore backup -> try again), I decided to try a different setting (e.g., 1 day ago/7 days in the future) and found that the deletes now ONLY occurred for this new date parameter (again, after multiple successful syncs). This told me that the problem was more about a 'bug' than something on our systems.  After jumping through numerous hoops with Swiftpage, they have finally admitted "This may be something in our program."

We are unable to function with Act! right now because we are tied to our calendars and the integration with Outlook. Swiftpage has told me that they will get on this "right away" but I believe if you also find problems - and complain - they might actually see this as a priority.

Probably a very good idea to start backing up more frequently in the event you have similar problems.

Thanks to this community for all of its past support.

Neil

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Neil_Act
‎03-17-2017 07:42 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Happy to report that it's Day 3 since deploying the dll fix and all calendar items are stable without any errant deletes.  Looks like this may have fixed this (very frustrating) issue.

I look forward to now seeing the fixes for the various other integration related issues (e.g., mysterious History wipes).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Astute Commentator

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Thanks for replying on my Google Integration thread... while I can't echo all of the findings I can say I too have lost significant amounts of data, and it is relatively random happening after many syncs.  Frustratingly it just disappears from both ACT and then Google Calendar without a trace (I would figure it would leave a history note of being deleted, etc... but nope).

I had similar issues in ACT18 and spent hours trying to fix it, and was told the fix would be in ACT19.  I even waited a few months to be sure, but it appears it didn't really get fixed.

Copper Contributor

I'm very aware that from one version to another what once worked is now broken and what was broken is (sometimes) fixed. There is no 'well-oiled' machine at Swiftpage that I can ever remember. If it wasn't for all the add-ons and the Durkin Impact suite, I'd be LONG GONE.

BTW, our Outlook appointments are staying even though the Act appointments are deleted. This is a plus because our Exchange Hosting is at least keeping our devices current.

Hope someone at Swiftpage is listening!
Administrator

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the detail you have reported here and also in your post in this other thread.

Regarding your 1st point, this is a known issue and has been logged as defect D-05547.

I know we're currently gathering as much information about the 3rd reported issue as possible. I'll pass this along to our Product Management team for review.

I'll post any followup questions, or any info I receive.

Copper Contributor

I heard from Swiftpage this afternoon that their Dev team has been able to replicate these issues and will be testing a patch tomorrow. Here's hoping ...

Copper Contributor

Quick update. The tech I'm working with has just installed a series of dll files with advanced error tracking.  I am to send in the error logs once the error appears again to allow them to look for the root cause.  I will keep you informed. 

Copper Contributor

Hello. After installing the upgraded error-logging DLL files, I restored my database and after 7 successful syncs (every 15 minutes), all appointments within my sync settings (30 days back/2 years forward) were deleted in Act again. I sent in the error logs and heard back from Swiftpage that from the logs they can see the deletions. Later, they came back again with an update that it looks like the calls for deletion are coming from MS Sync Framework and that they were looking into why.

Stay tuned ...

Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated Neil.
Copper Contributor

I've learned from YOU, Gary.  This is what you've done for us many times ...

Thank you!

Astute Commentator

Well, now some of my Act! meetings are gone but are showing up in Outlook!

They even show this in Outlook:

=== Act! Activity (Meeting) ===

Shouldn't both Act! and Outlook Activities be either removed or added if they are done in either Act! or Outlook?  I use Act! to schedule all of my appointments but some people use Outlook to schedule activities with me and I do have them in my Act! database. 

So, anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I am wanting my company to switch to Act! all together but with these on and off syncing issues...it's not going to be possible.