Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Copper Contributor

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Hi Gary,

What I finished up doing was that I deleted Act Pro 19 and loaded the latest 550mb update release, and I also loaded the old Outlook 2010, which though it did put all the forward dated meetings etc back in, I have put these back manually from the Outlook calendar which has retained them. The outbound emails automatically attach as expected, but though when I previously used Outlook 2010 with an older version of Act Pro I had the inbound emails automatically attaching the the Act contact record if there was a match, this is not working. If I go into Outlook 2010 the original rule is still in there, but when I try to put it in a new rule, it lets me get as far as Select Custom Action but the drop down box is empty, and in the Action Value there are a load of letters and numbers, 03976e5b-1825-4c41-a5eb-77eab5bc8f92;

I have contacted ACT will a Live Chat session, and aparently it is an issue with the latest Act Pro 19 release, which hopefully will be addressed in the next release

Regards

Steve Jones

Administrator

Re: Potential 'Deletes' in v19 Calendar when using Outlook (Warning to Act! Community)

Hi Steve,

That's correct. We're currently aware of the problem with auto-attaching inbound emails in Outlook 2010. It has been logged as defect D-05366.

Hello, I am having these exact same issues as this post from last year.  Is there a fix to this, or why is this happening?  We're having to write down the appointments on paper just in case they delete (which they do as soon as google/ACT sync).

Thanks,

Madra

Bronze Elite Contributor

To be fair to the Act! community it would be useful and I think respectful of customers for Swiftpage having recognised a problem, assigned defect numbers and made them public knowledge let the community know of the intentions to fix the issue or not. I don't know of hotfix or inline releases that have addressed problems in a prior version such as this case where the issue is over 12 months old.

So Swiftpage if you would like to respond, do you think that would be reasonable?         

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Administrator

@ron_rensberger We're not currently aware of any issues with appointment deletion on a regular basis like this. Could you provide your full version of Act! (from Help > About Act!) and your full office build (from Outlook > File > Office Account > About Outlook).

Any other detail you can provide about this issue would be much appreciated!

@gleo The defect mentioned above (about Outlook rules in 2010) has been converted from a defect into a 'story' - meaning our dev team are looking at a new way of introducing the same functionality (inbound emails auto attaching).

Hello, this is the ACT we are using:

Act! Pro Version 20.1.120.0, Update 6

We don't use the Outlook sync (it has just caused too many problems). We switched to Google and are trying to make Google and Act work together.

We have recurring activities each week in ACT that have been there for years. It will now take those recurring and duplicate/triplicate - 5 times even the same recurring activity in one timeslot (you cannot even see the activity in the calendar there are so many showing in ACT).  

Then if we add a new activity in ACT, it will sync with Google, but like this morning we got here, and the new items we added yesterday to ACT are gone, but we go to Google and they are still there.  We cannot get the items to stay in ACT.

We did do the update 6 this morning - maybe that will help?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Jon,

The inquiry referred to Act! Pro v19 and the response in June 2017 was;  "That's correct. We're currently aware of the problem with auto-attaching inbound emails in Outlook 2010. It has been logged as defect D-05366."  You are now saying a defect is 'converted', which is not the same as fixed or even closed as I understand common English. 
Is it the intent or not, to provide a fix for the defect D-05366 applicable to Act! version 19.0, presumably Pro or Premium within a reasonable time where v 19.0 remains a Swiftpage supported version of the product?  There is a simple answer to that, either Yes or No, which is it please?       

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Administrator

[ Edited ]

@ron rensberger

Do you have your google calendar syncing to any other services? Apart from Act! of course. Update 6 did include some stability fixes so may help.

How many users do you have using Act! - are they all syncing?

@gleo - As the defect has been closed and reopened as a new feature story, that means our development team identified the old 'method' (outlook rules) as unworkable to fix and so are instead looking at a way to implement the same feature via a different method.

I think it's likely that this new feature won't see a backport to v19 unfortunately, due to the change in Outlook integration technology in v20.1 +

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Folks I think it's time to wake up and realize that SwiftPage is never going to create a stable integration system with Outlook (or, perhaps, with Google). If you look at my original post back in early 2017, I described to you the painful, time-consuming process that I went through to 'attempt  to work with one of their senior technicians in remedying the situation. After a year of promises not kept, fixes that didn't work, updates that made things worse, and having to go back to a paper calendar just to be able to keep my schedule intact, we elected to abandon Act!

Some of you may know Susan Clark who was the author of all of the QuickStudy Guides for Act!  She was an Act! Aficionado and Champion for decades, and when she decided to abandon act in favor of Zoho, I had to wonder. What did she know, that I didn't know?

When we got to the point of frustration that we were willing to let go of a product that we had used for almost a decade (Act!) we also went with Zoho and now I start my day with a smile my face knowing that my data are intact; my schedule is true; and — with all the additional features provided — I'm a ton more productive.

I'm not trying to sell you on Zoho here because there are many products that are currently available that you need to look into. However, I think that after almost 3 painful years of hearing the same lame excuses (just how many times do you have to tell them what version and release and OS before you realize it's a stall). I jumped through way too many hoops before I realized the truth that if you want stability in your CRM platform, it isn't going to be with SwiftPage.

Let it go ...

Neil Dempster, PhD, MBA

P.S. I have remained a member of the Act! Community Forum out of morbid curiosity to see if they would ever fix this. I feel bad for those of you who are going through exactly what I went through for way too long. I'm now wondering if this post will lead to me being removed from the Community Forum. Maybe you should watch for that, because it will give you a idea of how this is unfolding. Good luck to all of you.  Happy CRMing!

We are not syncing to anything else  - just between Act and Google.

We have 2 users sharing the same database.  Only 1 google.  So Joe and Dee have the same Act calendar that they share so when one enters something, they refresh and it's on both Act calendars, and then it is synced to just Joe's google account.