Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Populating company fields with (linked) contact fields?

Avid Listener

Populating company fields with (linked) contact fields?

We use the ID/Status field to record a Category (or categories) for each contact in our database.  It uses a dropdown list, and most contacts have multiple categories checked.  We would like to now track Categories at the Company level instead.

We will add this field to our Company layout and duplicate the dropdown list from the Contact field.  I know we can set this up as a linked field between Company and Contact, but it appears that the link only populates the Contact field from the Company, not vice versa.  Right now the Company Category field is blank, and I'm concerned that linking these fields will overwrite/erase the Category data in the linked Contacts.

Is there any way to populate the (currently blank) Category field at the Company level from the (already populated) Category field at the Contact level across all contacts, or worst case one at a time?

Thanks -

Patrick

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Populating company fields with (linked) contact fields?

The main issue is that the contacts could all have different data... so you'd need an append that checks the content first.

Pretty sure this could be done with an export from the Contacts, then use itImport to merge/append to the Companies

I have a similar situation. I have Timeshare resorts set up as companies. This is so I can communicate with the resorts and their personel. Each resort has an individual internal transfer fee $$. I created a transfer fee field and have imputed the currency data. 

In my contacts, which are the owners of the timeshares, I also have a "Transfer fee" field and a "Resort Name" field. Is there anyway I can get ACT upon entering a new contact, that it compares the "Resort Name" field in the contacts screen with the "Resort Name" in companies and automatically populates the Transfer Fee cost into the "Transfer Fee" field in contacts. I need this field to populate into my email templates that inform Contacts of their obligations to the Resort.

Platinum Super Contributor

There isn't a function within the Sage ACT! product to populate a field based on the data within another field(s); that would require an add-on.  There may be multiple add-ons that will perform this; here is one possibility: Automatice Field Calculation

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you Greg, will look into that