11-21-2008 06:00 AM
We upgraded to ACT 2009 about a week ago. Ever since we've upgraded, we have noticed poor performance when accessing certain areas of the ACT application. For example, if a user performs a lookup and then clicks a contact name within those search results, it takes approx 10 seconds before the screen responds and populates the info. Once the contact has been loaded, I'm able to move from field to field without a problem. However, if they jump from a contact to their task list, there's a significant delay (about 15 seconds). There's also a delay any time the history or opprotunities tab is clicked and when an entry is added to either one. In version 2006, we did not have these issues.
Currently our ACT database is about 930MB; prior to the upgrade the database size was approx 850MB, so immediately after the conversion our database size increased about 70MB. Our server is a xeon processor 3.60GHz and 3.50GB of RAM running Windows 2003 server SP2. We are using ACT 2009 Premium ST edition so database size should not be an issue. I've cleaned up and defragged the hard drive on the server and I've also run database maintenance via the actdiag program. By database maintenance, I mean I checked the db then repaired and re-indexed it.... neither of these maintenance tasks have helped. I'm also able to duplicate these slow problems directly on the ACT server... so I have ruled the network out of the problem. We also have a smaller database which I've tested and we do not see these problems... response time is about a second or two with the smaller db. The small db size is about 35MB. So at this point, all signs are pointing to our large database as the issue.
Is it normal for the database size to increase like that after the conversion? I can understand a small growth in the database but 70MB seems to be a big jump in size to me. Is there anything else that we can run on the database to improve performance? Has anyone else had similar issues since upgrading?
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
12-04-2008 10:34 AM
I've seen larger databases that do not experience these types of issues. Along with running check/repair/reindex, did you also go through the rebuilds? From the testing you've done, its narrowed down to db specific. What you can try to do is purge the database of old data. Be sure to create a backup of the database before purging. You could also try creating an empty copy of the database and import in to the blank database. Empty copy of a database will retain any custom fields, but you'll need to copy your customized layout.
12-08-2008 11:15 AM - last edited on 12-18-2008 10:48 AM by dlunceford
We are having the same problem here.
I have a dedicated ACT server running a Xeon 2.33GHz process or with 8GB of ram an 15K RPM hard drives. I have done all options suggested here (rebuild, reindex, defrag, export, etc) , and even contacted the company that sold us ACT and had their consultant come out to look at it with no results. Our database is 2.004 GB, which is why we went from 2008 EX to 2009 ST for Web.
We were told there would be performance benefits, and have received nothing but a slower database program. If there is a fix out there for this, I would really like to hear about it!