Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Placing existing fields (that have been used before on other layout pages) on a new layout page - is this possible?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Placing existing fields (that have been used before on other layout pages) on a new layout page - is this possible?

Hi,

I've been trying to create a new layout page, with various fields on it.

At the moment, there are two pages that are quite similar to the new layout page that I'm trying to create.

On these two existing pages, there are fields that, I think, appear on both pages. I've included below two images showing these two existing pages, and you can see the fields that appear on both of these existing layout pages.

For this new layout page (page number three), I wish to use some of the fields that appear on these two pages. However, when I try to enter these existing fields into this new layout page, the required field does not appear in the list of fields in the 'Selected fields' dialog box.

So, I'm a bit baffled. For if some fields appear on the two existing layout pages, why can I not add them to a third layout page?

Would I have to create new fields for this new layout page that I'm trying to build?

It's Act! Premium Version 18.2.53.0 (Update 2), running on Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks.

Grant.

re-referrals-yc.jpg

ac-referral-tab.jpg

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎06-15-2017 05:34 AM
Administrator

Re: Placing existing fields (that have been used before on other layout pages) on a new layout page - is this possible?

Hi Grant.

Ahh, yes, this makes more sense now. The Layout dropdown will allow you to select a different 'template' for the contact view. Each layout can have a completely different set of fields and tabs, displayed in any any order or arrangement you like. If a field exists on one layout, it can still be added to another. Only when the field already exists on that same layout, will you be unable to add the field again.

To save yourself entering the same data repeatedly in what would essentially be duplicate fields, you might be better off creating new layouts, as the field data will be synced across them all.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: Placing existing fields (that have been used before on other layout pages) on a new layout page - is this possible?

Hi Grant,

I'm not sure what you mean by "layout pages". Are you are referring to tabs within the layout, or entirely different layouts?

It is not normally possible to add the same field multiple times to the same layout, regardless of which tab it appears in.

Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's just a new tab page that I'm creating.

The two images included above show two tab pages that were previously created by a former worker here.

So, yes, I've been wondering about adding the same field to different tab layouts.

It's not using fields on a multple basis, but rather having the same field appear on three separate tab pages.

Judging by the field names in these two graphics, it looks as if it might be do-able.

Otherwise, I will have to create about a dozen new fields (and accompanying drop-down lists) for this task.

Grant.

Administrator

Hi Grant,

Just to confirm, those two screenshots are from the same contact, on the same layout, just on different tabs?

If this is really the case, I do not know how this has been done, because this is not a feature of Act! out of the box. I suspect that a third-party add on, or some manual effort has been applied to edit the database/layout to achieve this.

Is it absolutely necessary to have the same field with the same data in it be displayed in multiple tabs in your layout? Would a different layout be more suitable for the task?
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, these two screenshots are from the same contact, just on different tab pages.

Like you, I was under the impression that it was not possible to use the same field twice. For if you use a field once when creating a tab page, it disappears from the 'Select field' dialog box.

Ah, just thought of something. The two screenshots pictured above use different templates - this might explain it all.

You know when you login to ACT! and click on the big 'Contacts' button on the left side of the page, and that take you to the 'Contacts' page? And in the top right corner of that page, you can select templates - as shown in the graphic below, highlighted in red. Well, one of the tab pages uses the 'Adult Service' template, while the other tab page uses the 'YCP' template.

So if they use different templates, I guess it's possible to use fields twice.

I think the best way forward here is just to create new fields for this task, but with similar names to the fields that were used on the other two tabs.

But then how do I ensure that a new tab page uses a certain template?

Grant.

act-templates.jpg

Solution
Accepted by topic author grantmillar
‎06-15-2017 05:34 AM
Administrator

Hi Grant.

Ahh, yes, this makes more sense now. The Layout dropdown will allow you to select a different 'template' for the contact view. Each layout can have a completely different set of fields and tabs, displayed in any any order or arrangement you like. If a field exists on one layout, it can still be added to another. Only when the field already exists on that same layout, will you be unable to add the field again.

To save yourself entering the same data repeatedly in what would essentially be duplicate fields, you might be better off creating new layouts, as the field data will be synced across them all.
Copper Contributor

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all that - sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Yes, thought it would be a template thing.

Yes, if a field has already been used on a different template layout, then you can use the field again on a different template layout.

I think this will just be a one-off job (famous last words!), so I will just create the extra fields that are required for this task.

It's been a good exercise and correspondence, as I've learned a lot from speaking to you.

Thanks, again.

Best regards,
Grant.

Administrator

I'm glad I could be of some help!