Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pictures and SQL Server Requirements

Copper Contributor

Pictures and SQL Server Requirements

Dear All,

I need to things cleared up.

Q1. How does ACT handle pictures? Are they part of the database or are they in the "supplemental files". THis is important as I had always thought there was a size limit to the databse hence too many photos would quickly see your limit reached. Can someone please tell me definitively how ACT handles photos.

Q2. I just purchased the upgrade Premium  2010. Now I was given a link to download the program from. Do I have to install SQL Server and in the past it was part of the product but on a two disk setup (special licence agreement with microsoft). Has this changed? Do I need to go and purchse it. I believe if you want your database size to be greater then the limits set by the express version of SQL Server then you need the full install of SQL Server. So What is it now with the new version? Do I or don't I need to purchase SQL server 2008 separately. If so why not be a little more clear in the documentation. I need the ability for a larger size in my databse as I have lots of photos and hence Q1.

Regards

Matthew

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Pictures and SQL Server Requirements

Copper Contributor

Well Mike the previous version came with SQL Server 2005. So why has it now installed on SQL Server 2005 express? And when it comes to adding photos the db will quickly exceed it limit as they are very large in size due to modern digital cameras. Surely Sage should have resolved this area of potential problems by now.

How can I now install the db back on SQL Server 2005 and not on the express edition?

ST came with Standard, EX came with Express. The difference in price was just the cost of SQL standard

If you still have the ST CD, you should still be able to use it.

The limitation is MS SQL, not Sage

Also, saving the pics as JPG and shrinking the size to what's needed is useful

Copper Contributor

Yes I have the CD but how do I now reinstall the db back on SQL Server 2005 and not SQL Server 2005 Express? And I did not uninstall SQL Server 2005 from my server so why did the db switch to the express version? I didn't ask it to during installation.

Matthew

Copper Contributor

I used ACTdiag on the server and it comes up with SQLServer 2005 Express.

Did you remove ACT! from that machine?

If it was attached to SQL Standrad before, this wouldn't change during an upgrade

Copper Contributor

It has always been standard although there are packages which use express. Can you have express and standard on the same machine? If so is there some way I can determine this?And if that is indeed the case is there a way I can move the db over.

Matthew