Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Pervasiveness of Data and Settings Folders

Copper Contributor

Pervasiveness of Data and Settings Folders

We originally started on Act 2010.  When 2011 came out, I removed 2010 and did what I thought was a clean install.

Now I find that I have the following folder:

1. C:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT Data
  2. C:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 12
  3. C:\documents and settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ACT for Windows 13
  4. C:\documents and settings\<username>\My Documents\ACT
  5. C:\documents and settings\<username>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12

I find that Databases are in the Root of #4 instead of in #4 under the Databases subfolder.

Backups are in #5 in the Backup subfolder.

Does Act really need all these directories?  Is this an artifact of an earlier version being installed?

Is there a definitive list of what directories should be created under a "clean" install and a directory map of what should be where? 

The current structure just seems overly redundant and convoluted.

Kind regards,

Sam Poikail

Bronze Contributor

Re: Pervasiveness of Data and Settings Folders

Sam,

I generally place all ACTdata in a folder c:\actdata and then in the preferences point thesse to the new default folder as I have seen some issues when the data is in the mydocuments folder.

Once this is done you can generally delete the folders created by the current and previous versions.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Re: Pervasiveness of Data and Settings Folders

Thanks for that. 

Could you elaborate on some of the problems you had with the data in the \My Documents folder? 

ATB,

Sam