Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Perpetual bugs in act 2010 premium

Copper Contributor

Perpetual bugs in act 2010 premium

Been testing 2010 premium and must admit that the differences with 2009 are miniscule, hardly worth the effort. What would have been worth the effort would be for Sage to address a number of product bugs. They just don't seem capable of doing this. The first is that the Act Scheduler in 2009 was not working correctly on its date settings. They left that problem in 2010. The scheduler is no good. The second is new. The dialer / timer malfunctions. This was working more or less in 2009. Now the dialer seems to pop up twice. I still cannot figure out what it is doing. It looks like some mistakenly repeated lines of code! (I know, this is hard to believe, but it's true.) Sage has never seen fit to correctly implement the dialer in the first place (it should open a history page for taking notes during the conversation, not after you hang up! That's what comes when you let programmers design a note taking tool for phone salesmen...

Re: Perpetual bugs in act 2010 premium

[ Edited ]

Please provide steps to reproduce the issues you've described.  What task and criteria are you creating with the ACT! Scheduler to get the issue mentioned?    Based on the information provided, the timer issue appears to be associated with a previously reported issue. 

If you would like to have the ability to create a history entry during the phone call, feel free to post your request in the Share Your Ideas forum.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 09-15-2009 10:37 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Perpetual bugs in act 2010 premium

The bug that was reported many months ago, still before 2010 was released is the scheduler one. Set the scheduler to import calendar items from Outlook for the next two weeks only, and you will either get the entire calendar or every repeating items (I can't tell, because the Outlook calendar is not frequently used on this computer). This populates the Act calendar with hundreds of completed calendar items going way back into the past. I can't tell how far back it goes. I reported the problem at least three times, and never got a response.

The dialer problem is new to this release. Just use the dialer, have the timer pop up automatically. You'll see the rest for yourself. When you close down the open windows after the call is complete, another timer pops up. It has to be turned on to shut it down properly. This calls up another history record. My guess is that this was some half-hearted effort to correct the incredibly dumb original programming (that I have been suggesting they change for two or three years), in which the window for notes pops up AFTER you close out the call. (It's hard to know what genious planned this small routine, but, in my experience, people using the dialer to free their hands actually want to take notes DURING a call, not after!). My workaround, stupid though it is, was to create a custom command that pulls upon the Windows notepad. I created an icon. I dial my call. If I need to take notes, I open the notepad. I close the call (which records the length of the call in the history record, something used for ... what is it called... jee whiz... if I could only  remember.... oh, yes, it's called time tracking for billing! oh yes,) then I cut and paste my notes into the actual history record.