Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Performance Issues when updating History on multiple contacts

Performance Issues when updating History on multiple contacts

Hi All

First time posting in desperation for answers. So please bear with me.

Background:

I have a client who has replaced their old server with a new more powerful machine. The old server specs are, Windows Server 2012, Intel Xeon E3 4 core 3.10GHz processor, 8GB ram, 1tb HDD in Raid 1. The new server is Windows server 2016, 2x Intel Xeon Silver 4110 8 core 2.10GHz processor, 128GB RAM, 400Gb SSD in RAID 1, and 4tb in RAID 5 (file storage).

The new Server is configured as one Server Host with two Virtual machines. VM Server02 is setup as the act server and remote desktop:

VM Server02 Spec:

Stored on the Hosts Servers Raid 1 SSD

220 GB System Drive

20GB ACT database Drive (Y). Shared for Network Access.

8 Cores

32GB Ram

The servers are running well for everything except when using ACT either on a desktop client or directly on the ACT server.

The issue:

For the most part ACT runs fine on all desktop machines and on the server, however, performance issues appear when ACT loads a large amount of contacts or Opportunities. For example, while on a desktop machine if I was to click Opportunities and all filters were set to "All" it can take 82 seconds to load the data.

The second example is when adding history to multiple contacts at once. So, if I look up 500 contacts and then add a history to them it will take about 4 min for the operation to complete. during this action ACT will become unresponsive. After about 2 minutes the History window will disappear suggesting that everything is updated but ACT will not respond for another 2 minutes. I've observed that during the last 2 minutes sqlservr.exe disk activity will start becoming active, not while the History window is open. Once ACT becomes responsive again, I can check the contacts and conform that newly created history is there. I have tested on 1000 contacts and this can take between 10 to 20 min to complete.

This pattern of behaviour is also observed on the old server. The concern over performance only came about when I got access to another ACT server setup that has very similar setup as the client’s old server with roughly the same size database, but the History adding process was almost instant on a larger number of contact, over 1000.

What I have done so far:

I have followed the applicable parts on the KB article 16605, How To Improve the Performance of ACT, and all of KB article 25125 (Opening firewall ports and creating exception in AV), and the Database Maintenance and Troubleshooting in KB 24758, specifically the Self-Service Troubleshooting section. But nothing seems to improve performance. I don't have the ready access to the other ACT setup so can't scrutinise it.

So, after all that what am I doing wrong? Why is one ACT setup on a very low-end server performing almost instantly while my client is high end setup is stalling during similar type of operations?

Any help would much appreciated. And just to add. while carrying out my tests on Server02 at no point was it under any strain, suggesting to that the server is well resourced too.

Please note at them moment I am running a test VM Server02B with exactly the same setup as Server02 so if you guys suggest any major configuration changes then please don't hold back, I can do more or less anything to Server02B

Highlighted
Silver Contributor

Re: Performance Issues when updating History on multiple contacts

[ Edited ]

Can you clarify if you get the same performance issues on the server directly as you are getting on the 2 network machines when making the changes?

Have you run a database repair under ACTDIAG

Have you tried turning off (Just for testing) all virus checking software.

The issue happens directly on the server too. almost all testing was done directly on the server.

I have used ACTDIAG extensively from, checking database,  Refresh Search Indexes, Repair Database, Reindex Database, Rebuild ACT Meta Data, Rebuild Security, Rebuild OLEDB v2 reports.

Not tried turning off AV or Firewall yet, but as mentioned I have opened all ports and created all exceptions where they relate to the specific versions of SQL server and ACT Premium as per KB article 25125. However, as I am working on a test VM server identical to the production VM server, I can give that a go, if only to say it has been tried. I'll update with results ASAP.

On other thing to note that I forget to mention was the version of ACT I am comparing performance with. The ACT version that is showing instant response times to the same process described before is Sage ACT! Premium (Web) 2013 Version 15.1.108.0, Hot Fix 4. This would have been installed with the version of SQL server Express that would have come with it. 

UPDATE:

I have disabled the AV and Firewall as Ch1p advised. I then ran a test on 500 contacts. One thing did change. The ACT history window closed in less than a minute, however ACT still stays unresponsive for a full 4 minutes. I can see from Task manager that SQL Server (ACT7) process is at 2.6%~ CPU usage and it hovers at that level for 4 minutes. When SQL Server (ACT7) process usage drops to 0% ACT becomes responsive again. 

Hi 

I am still having issues with ACT and Database performance. I was hoping to find out from other users if they experience similar issues to what I have described earlier?

I have called ACT support but they went through sames steps as in KB article 16605 which I have already done.