Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook-to-ACT Duplication Issue

Outlook-to-ACT Duplication Issue

I am having an issue between ACT and Outlook sync. I find plenty of resources when it is syncing from ACT to Outlook, but not the other way around. So I'm going to post it. I have ACT v19 (I don't remember the version number), and am using Outlook 2016. The Outlook version is 16.0.8201.2193. The operating system is Windows 10, but I don't remember if the database is on the local machine (private), or on a shared database. Anyway, I am having an issue when Outlook is synced to ACT, it creates a lot of duplicates. I am wondering what would cause this duplication issue so I can fix it? 

Administrator

Re: Outlook-to-ACT Duplication Issue

Hi there,

Activity/Contact duplication can occur for a couple of different reasons; most commonly where there is more than one type of integration set up.

For example, if you have Google Calendar integration set up as well as Outlook, as this will create something of a 'feedback loop' where an activity is created in Outlook, which then syncs to Act, which then syncs to Google, which then syncs back to Act etc.

Another common cause is having the setting enabled to create activities when meeting invitations are accepted (below). If you have Calendar Synchronisation set up, the meeting you accept will automatically be pulled into your Act calendar from your Outlook calendar anyway - so having this setting enabled will create duplicates of these meeting events.

Activity Invitations.PNG

Hey Jon, sorry I haven't gotten back to you in awhile. I had put this on the back burner, as I was busy with everything else. Anyway, does this integration also leave like 30-40 duplicates of the same activity? And also, what ways can I fix this? If it is integration issue, can I simply remove the integration? What if I want to keep the integration but get rid of the duplicates, is this possible? If the issue is not with integration, what steps can I take to fix this issue? Would updating ACT (if it needs updating) fix it? Thank you in advance for your time and effort and sorry that I didn't respond sooner. P.S. Can you recommend great training videos and sites to learn more on the troubleshooting side of ACT, if one wants to learn much more on ACT, ACT integration, troubleshooting, etc?

Administrator

If you're getting large quantity of duplicates (30 - 40) this is usually caused by having two or more different integrations set up at the same time.

Are the duplicates appearing in your Act calendar, or in your Outlook calendar?
Nickel Contributor

Hi Jon,

If the setting "Edit and create activity(recommended) causes duplicates if you sync your outlook calendar why is it recommended and why is it the default setting?

I would imagine most users that have act! synchronise their calendar to Outlook if it's installed

Administrator

This setting doesn't inherently cause duplicates, it's just that it offers you the opportunity to create a new meeting in Act! - which will already have been created by Outlook.

II understand where you're coming from though - I'll raise the question of why this is on by default with the product team.

The duplicates are appearing in the Act Calendar, if I remember correctly.

Administrator

One thing that can help resolve this is to rebuild the metadata files that Act uses to tell which activities it has already synced. Sometimes these can become damaged and stop working correctly causing duplicates.

First close down Act, then press "Windows Key + R" to open the Run dialog, then type "%appdata%" into the window and click Run.

This should open up your Roaming AppData folder. From here, go to ACT > ACT Data. Then select the Outlook Sync folder and rename it to something like "Outlook Sync OLD".

By renaming the file, the next time you sync it should be recreated. This will rebuild the metadata files that Act uses to sync with Outlook. Once you've done this, test to see if the issue is resolved.

If you still have issues it may be worth checking out this KB -
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17574