Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook stops attaching emails to act

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Outlook stops attaching emails to act

Hello All. We have been having a vexing issue in act 18 and now 19.1 where emails randomly stop attaching to act. I have went through all of the knowledge base articles over and over. It is office 365 with outlook 2016. I called swift on this and they could not assist either. They just sent me all the knowledgebase articles again. In an effort to troubleshoot we completely disabled all antivirus software since the exclusions did not make a difference. All systems are windows 7 with all the latest patches. Gigabit network speed with high end servers. But no matter what the issue mail attaching just stops. If we kill the act.outlook service and then restart it it seems to solve it. The users have just have gotten used to rebooting when this happens.

Is anyone else having this issue.? Perhaps some sort of office 2016 issue with exchange hosted in the cloud.?

Thanks for any info.
Dave

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dhayes
‎05-05-2017 07:17 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook stops attaching emails to act

The company I had in mind is https://www.keystroke.ca/apps/act-verticals-menu/act4outlook

BUT if you have Click to run version of Outlook they have not yet released an update or one for 64 bit Office installations but watch this space.

Here is what they say -

• Compatible with Windows version of Act! v16 or higher (sold separately). No Act for Web support or support for browser based email or Mac versions of Office.
  • MS Office 2010 or higher (32-bit)

I suggest you download the trial version for a single workstation and see if that fits the clients needs.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

I have found a similar problem - Outlook disables the ACT add-in if it deems that it takes too long to load. (No longer asks the users - just does it !!!!)

You then get an option in Outlook to re-enable the add-in and market do not disable. It then seems to stay enabled.

If this is not the problem you expand on what is happening.

EG are ACT Icons in Outlook still showing in ADD-INs tab?

Is the Attach to Contacts Progress app running and if so is it showing any emails queuing?

Is the ACT Address Book showing in Outlook etc.

Is it just a random stoppage with all above OK?

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response and sorry for the delay..

It has nothing to do with the addin.  It is still running and icons are there.  It is just a random stoppage of syncing between outlook and ACT..

I spoke to a colleague a short time ago and he just randomly had (3) sales guys have the same issue.  Reboot fixes.  He is on ACT 18.2...

Appears to be some sort of design flaw or windows update issue?

tx

Dave

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dhayes wrote:
Hello All. We have been having a vexing issue in act 18 and now 19.1 where emails randomly stop attaching to act. I have went through all of the knowledge base articles over and over. It is office 365 with outlook 2016. I called swift on this and they could not assist either. They just sent me all the knowledgebase articles again. In an effort to troubleshoot we completely disabled all antivirus software since the exclusions did not make a difference. All systems are windows 7 with all the latest patches. Gigabit network speed with high end servers. But no matter what the issue mail attaching just stops. If we kill the act.outlook service and then restart it it seems to solve it. The users have just have gotten used to rebooting when this happens.

Is anyone else having this issue.? Perhaps some sort of office 2016 issue with exchange hosted in the cloud.?

Thanks for any info.
Dave

Dave, et al.: I'm having the same issue here with Act! Premium Version 19.1.63.0, Update 2, Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.7830.1018) 32-bit, Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 2. Act.Outlook.Service.exe *32 failed to launch when Act! and Outlook are launched.

I found initiating Act! > Tools > Preferences > Email Outlook & Sync (tab) > Email System Setup will launch Act.Outlook.Service.exe.

Before:
snap1727.jpg

After

snap1731.jpg

An Act! user since ACT! for DOS 1.0 (1988)
Copper Contributor

If you can't get the window to appear, try killing the "act.outlook.service' process and then starting it. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Give it time to start up, can be slow.

C:\WHEREVER_UR_ACT_IS\Act.Outlook.Service.exe -showqueue

Copper Contributor

Seanster2 wrote:

If you can't get the window to appear, try killing the "act.outlook.service' process and then starting it. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Give it time to start up, can be slow.

C:\WHEREVER_UR_ACT_IS\Act.Outlook.Service.exe -showqueue

Thanks much.  I would have to say that this will likely work.  We have actually done this where we kill the act.outlook.service in task manager and doubleclick it and everything works.  The sales people have just gotten into the habit of rebooting their computers all the time.

But the question is...Why is this happening?  This particular site relies heavily on this function and to reboot all the time it seems rather counter productive.  What is interesting about this issue is that it happened on 18.x (latest version/patches) and is also now happening on 19.1 (latest patches).  Something is causing this software to hang/stop functioning requiring it to be killed (manually or via reboot).  

Is anyone else having this issue?  Are you just dealing with it?  

Again

Thanks

Copper Contributor

I'm still using v17 and for the most part this program tends to stay alive, except for maybe one guy who never reboots. I ask people to log off daily and reboot every few days. Based on how it operates I suspect the program was written by a summer student intern in 2007. There could be infinite reasons for it to crash.

Copper Contributor

Yeah. The quality of this software has really gone down hill sad to say. Just left another completely different site with the same types of issues. Windows 7 across the board. Sadly I think any software that needs to be tied to the insanely horrible outlook addin system/api will likely have issues. It is hard for me to keep a straight face and say sorry.. Just reboot. Several calls to swift support are fruitless. End up going through the same Knowledgebase articles I am seeing in my sleep. So disappointing.
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

With this specific problem can someone write a script to stop and start the service periodically until a proper resolution is found?

The current number of issues with Outlook integration are as high as I can ever remember and I don't doubt the effort the ACT design team are putting in to resolve them - BUT - it is now causing customer loss so is it time for a different - bold - solution.

There is a 3rd party software designer who makes an ACT add-on for Outlook that works. (You all know who I mean!) What about a collaboration where their product is integrated into ACT even if it means another $10 or $20 on the licence price. Everyone wins and we are back to a stable ACT - Outlook solution.

Is this pie in the sky or is someone at Swiftpage bold enough to at least consider this?

Copper Contributor

ch1p wrote:

With this specific problem can someone write a script to stop and start the service periodically until a proper resolution is found?

The current number of issues with Outlook integration are as high as I can ever remember and I don't doubt the effort the ACT design team are putting in to resolve them - BUT - it is now causing customer loss so is it time for a different - bold - solution.

There is a 3rd party software designer who makes an ACT add-on for Outlook that works. (You all know who I mean!) What about a collaboration where their product is integrated into ACT even if it means another $10 or $20 on the licence price. Everyone wins and we are back to a stable ACT - Outlook solution.

Is this pie in the sky or is someone at Swiftpage bold enough to at least consider this?

Thanks Ch!p.  Just to follow up on this.  After lots of scrambling around at the IT level burning many hours we opened another ticket with Swift.  This person indicated to me that this is a known issue now with many people having the problem.  He indicated that it seemed to be related to accounts that have their email hosted with office 365.  He claims they are working with Microsoft on a fix and took my email address down to get on the list when a fix is released.  And you know once they have to work with Microsoft then this issue is likely to remain forever.

Needless to say the customer is not at all happy.  After I passed along this news going to another CRM is now on the front burner.  

Now this is not based on any info I have but personally I think this issue is the horrid outlook add-in API.  Over the many years with various CRM, accounting, etc packages out there it always seems like there are major issues when those packages attempt to integrate via outlook add-ons.  They work one day and stop the next.  Or a service pack is done to windows and/or office and it breaks an add-in.  

ch!p...You mentioned a third party solution.  Can you pass that info along?  The customer is willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks again

Dave