Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook performance slowed by Act installation

Outlook performance slowed by Act installation

[ Edited ]

Our company installed Act Premium 2009 (v11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 on all our remote sales reps laptops. The installation has affected the performance of Outlook dramatically, causing Outlook to run extremely slowly at times.

Several times during the day, I have to restart Outlook to send and receive emails. I can typically tell when Outlook is having problems sending emails when the Outlook Send/Receive Progress stops at 98%.

Any ideas? I like having a thick client version of Act, but this has become very frustrating.

My laptop is a Dell Latitide D820. It is running Windows XP Pro, and the version of Outlook is Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 (11.8217.8221) SP3

Thank you,

Content edit. Spelling correction for "Hotfix"

Message Edited by ghollister on 07-28-2009 12:10 PM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook performance slowed by Act installation

I am interested in your experience. We have had remote users report that under ACT! 11.0 Premium but we have never observed it. Have you looked as to see what is consuming CPU in Task Manager?

Do you have synchronisation scheduled in ACT! or do users initiate it?

Is Outlook set to cached Exchange mode? (offline)  

Does it coincide with an antivirus scan?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Hi Graeme,

I am a remote user too. Our sales force uses Act Premium 11.0, but I'm the only one experiencing the slow operation of both Outlook and Act.

Outlook basically stops sending or receiving emails. I have to restart in order to start receiving/sending emails. Oddly, when I close Outlook, I typically have to go Task Manager and end the process in there or Outlook doesn't restart properly.

I have check CPU Usage but nothing stands out as a large percentage.

I have synchronization scheduled for 9:30am. I also do a Synchronize now at the end of the day (management request).

Act Scheduler is running.

Outlook was set to cached Exchange mode. I turned that off this am.

CounterSpy is scheduled to run at 1PM, Quick scan.

We use TrendMicro OfficeScan. I'm uncertain as to when it performs a virus scan.

Our IT dept logged into my PC and cleaned up my startup folder, and also optimized my services.msc

Ed

Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the detail. In our work we find that anti-spyware and some anti-virus products can be the problem but it is not predictable. One machine will work fine and then you will get the odd few that have problems. We have found TrendMicro to feature more frequently if we have problems with AV software. This is not to say there is anything inherently wrong with it, it just appears to be more aggressive than others. Anti-spyware at its worst with an ACT! installation will necessitate a rebuild of the PC,  anti-spware seems to affect the install process rather than arise some time later. We still stop all AV and anti-spyware products prior to install of ACT!. Over many installs I can say that there is less incidence of problems if you follow this routine.

ACT! is integrated with Outlook intensively, on of the objectives of some anti-spyware and more so AV is to look out for a process intercepting email client activity, I understand that both Counterspy and TrendMicro have this feature or optionally so. I suggest a troubleshoot procedure would be first uninstall the anti-spware and the AV software and test. Reboot (cold boot) and see if that is any different This may not uncover the problem if there is some registry entry that has been written that is bypassed in the uninstall process or a problem with a .dll version. If there is no change at that point I would uninstall ACT! and reinstall. (All without AV or antispyware being in place). If that doesn't work, quite frankly the quickest path to success will be rebuild the machine. If you do so ensure that both VA and anti-spware are disabled during install. After a rebuild I would install the AV software first then ACT, test the machine and if all OK install the anti-spware. If you were extra cautious you could run a utility to record version numbers of the in-place .dlls at each stage to see if shared .dlls are swapped out that may point to the problem. 

Graeme Leo

Graeme,

Thanks for taking the time to share your insight with me. Our IT dept wants to uninstall my version of Act and reinstall. I'm also going to request a reload of Outlook. I had an issue installing an update a few months ago that affected Outlook.

BTW, turning caching off disabled all the Act gui's in Outlook. (???) i turned caching back on but the gui's are gone.

Thank you,

Ed

Bronze Elite Contributor

To restore ACT! icons in toolbar you need to close ACT! and Outlook. Open task manager and stop any instance of Outlook.exe running. Start Outlook. Start ACT!  

Graeme Leo