Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook .msg files saving to the Documents folder

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook .msg files saving to the Documents folder

No ACT Add-ins being used.

Only Office 32bit versions being used on multiple PCs.

I'm continuing to do testing to try to isolate it further but my tests this morning had the client's PC producing .msg files for everything it seems.  She told me she deleted dozens of .msg files from her My Documents folder yesterday when trying to free up some space on her C Drive, which is how she noticed this and brought it to my attention.

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

is the "legacy stuff" (act.outlook.service.exe) still running on those machines?

If yes, disable it.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

act.out.service.exe is not running the Task Manager of a PC I just duplicated the issue with.

Opened Outlook on this PC for the first time in a while.  Act v21 Update 7 is running on this PC already but mail is not usually done on this machine.

Shortly after there are 11 .msg files in the My Documents folder, all dated today.  Some of the messages are years old, a test message I sent today is in there, others are mailing list inbound messages.  No consistency I've seen.  Either way there shouldn't be copies of these messages in My Documents.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

It appears that this is the first real compatibility issue I've found between Outlook 2010, and ACT v21.

PCs with a combination of Outlook 2016 and ACT v21 had this .MSG file issue fixed by getting ACT updated to v21 Update 7.

But PCs we have with Outlook 2010 continued to have this issue even after ACT v21 had Update 7 installed.  Only updating Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2016 has corrected the issue on those PCs, so that seems to be the answer.

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

To All,

I just ended chat session with support that this is a reported issue and now with Development. 

Don't waist time updating to V21.1 Update 1 released May 2nd 2019 thinking that will help.

I see no issue deleting those files to keep folder clean and free up space.

Note I only see MSG files in User (PC) Documents folder from my Work (Exchange Server) email account.  No files from my two Gmail, and one sbcglobal.net accounts defined in Client App Outlook.

I have two Office Subscriptions:

- Office 365 ProPlus work installed license.

- Office 365.

The button About Outlook shows Version 1903 bldg 11425.20244 Click-to-Run.

JM

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here is what is happening.  When you turn on 'record history when you RECEIVE e-mail from act! contacts'  (email setup wizard page 6), then act writes the msg file to Documents folder if the contact does not exist. There is zero reason to do this. These can be deleted and realize these files can impact users because we all know how large emails files can be. Hope it is addressed in near future outlook integration update, along with the other issues that were created in v21.

Tamara Phillips
New Ideas Consulting Inc/Keystroke Partner
Highlighted

Hi Tamara

Thanks for your update - you describe the exact scenario that we're seeing and which is still happening. We've logged it with Act ourselves too to make sure they are aware we're also affected (I always think it best companies see the volume of issues to help them spot ones that really do need sorting).

It is really irritating for users as well as consuming a load of space for no good reason!

Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

Just checking back in on this thread.  From my original post, same client still having problem.  Has been deleting msg files from Document folder.  Will log a support issue with Swiftpage this morning to let them know yet another customer is having this issue.  

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com