Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook .msg files saving to the Documents folder

Copper Super Contributor

Outlook .msg files saving to the Documents folder

Act! Premium Version 21.0.295.0, Update 4

Microsoft Office 2010

Ever since update to v21, Outlook msg files are saving to Documents folder.  Turned off all act/outlook integrations.  Messages are no longer being saved to Act! but the msg files are still saving to the Documents folder.  

Tried to disable the Act! Add-in in Outlook.  Uncheck the button and restart Outlook and the add-in is still enabled. System will not let me remove the add-in.

There have been no Windows updates since 11/28.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and how to make it stop?

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com
Employee

Re: Outlook .msg files saving to the Documents folder

Hello,

Act! v21 is compatible with Microsoft® Office 2016 and 2013.

Carl Mag

Act! Support

Adaptable. Everywhere. Connected.

Copper Super Contributor

Carl:

Thanks for your reply.  He doesn't need the integration between Act! and Outlook.  The problem is not a failure in the integration.

When Act! got upgraded on his laptop, Outlook msg files started saving to his Documents folder.  It started after Act! was upgraded.  Every message doesn't save to the folder.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason for what does save.  I don't how the upgrade touched Microsoft Office but it did it in such a way that it has created this problem.

Swiftpage support says that they have no reports of anything like that but it started when the upgrade was done so he is looking to me to fix it.

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com
Highlighted
Copper Super Contributor

To make matters more interesting, I just opened his database.  Even though I don't have email integration set up in Act!, it is saving messages in Act!.

The Act! address book is not in Outlook.  I removed it.  The Act! add-in will not stay disabled in Outlook and I get an administrative error message when I try to remove the Act! add-in in Outlook.

He doesn't need emails saved in Act! and he doesn't want Outlook msg files saved to his Documents folder.

Thanks!

Leanne Evans
sosoftsol@gmail.com
Silver Contributor

You could try disabling the ACT Outlook Service and see if that works. 

Copper Contributor

I'm seeing the exact same thing with multiple clients who have recently been updated to ACT v21.  Happens with more than one version of MS Office, so it's not specific to Office 2010, 2013 or 2016.  MSG files are being created in the My Documents folder.  Multiple PCs, different databases, etc. 

Copper Contributor

Here's an example on a PC with Windows 10, ACT Premium v21, and MS Office 2016.

No rhyme or reason as to which messages get stored in this folder, very random, but it is happening.

MSGFiles.jpg

Nickel Super Contributor

Educated guess:

Could it be that only those emails get saved that could NOT be attached to a contact in ACT!?

(Open the msg files and have a look at them to find out to/from whom they came...)

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor

From my tests so far that is not the case.

I've even had MSG copies of inbound messages that would never be attached to an ACT contact (newsletters, email marketing, etc.).  Also, if that suggestion were true, there would be a lot of MSG files piling up in the My Documents folder, so that is not desirable either way.  That seems to be happening with at least one of my clients.  I had her send 6 Test messages to me this morning from her account and they all ended up as MSG files in her My Documents folder.  It was suggested to me that ACT v21 Update 7 would correct this but my clients are already running Update 7.

Nickel Super Contributor

Any Addons running that are not compatible with v21 (EmailConnect or else)?

Office 64-bit-Version? (no experience at all with it  & no test systems available here....) 

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de