Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook.exe won't shutdown since implementing ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync

Nickel Elite Contributor

Outlook.exe won't shutdown since implementing ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync

ACT! PRM 2011 (13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2).  Outlook 2010 (14.0.5128.5000 32-bit).  ACT! PRM 2011 has been installed for a couple of months now and have been using the email integration without issue.  Just implemented ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync and set it to run every 2 hours from 6AM to 10PM.  After a fresh reboot, I open Outlook once and everything works great.  If I close Outlook at any point I can't reopen it without going to Task Manager and killing the Outlook.exe process.  If I disable ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync everythign works normally again.  Anyone else seeing this?  Any solutions?

-----------
Marshall Knapp
AspenTech Consulting Group, Inc.
Act! Certified Consultants - Diamond Level
866-880-4ACT (4228)
www.aspen-tech.com

Re: Outlook.exe won't shutdown since implementing ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync

My problems are similar, but not exactly the same.  I was experiencing Outlook constantly freezing and having to be restarted, using Task Manager.  This problem seems to go away, with an update, but now every time I attempt to dismiss a task reminder in Outlook it freezes again (without fail).  As previously, I have to use Task Manager to restart Outlook.

In addition to all of this, of course my Act will not sync with Outlook.  Ii have it set to only transfer Act contacts to Outlook.  When this process is initiated, everything looks fine and then eventually, I get a pop-up saying that the sync failed.

If there are any fixes for this I would greatly appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Outlook.exe won't shutdown since implementing ACT!/Outlook Contact and Calendar Sync

I am having the exact same issue.  Was a fix ever found?

Chuck Billmyer
Software Analyst
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Mr. Magnum and CBillyMeyer,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

This post has evolved into 2 subjects:

1. Outlook.exe will not shutdown:  This is often an indication of conflicting add-ons within Outlook.  To resolve this, disable all but the ACT! add-on in Outlook and test.  If it will close appropriately, then re-add the add-ons individually and test them until the conflicting add-on is found.  A common conflicting add-on is for iTunes (if present > disable and test).

2. Outlook hanging: This is generally caused by firewalls and anti-virus software blocking communication.  Here is an article with instructions for adding ACT! exceptions to your firewall: KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Reported many years ago, this problem STILL stands and does not always fit either of the two cases above.

Our case is straight forward and always has been:

When any user has the ACT! database integrated into Outlook (i.e., using ACT Preferences panel, the database is integrated with Outlook which creates an Address Book in Outlook and also enables the Record History buttons there), then Outlook will not exit from memory when the user closes Outlook on that computer.  It may be important to note that we use TWO mail feeds in Outlook:  an Exchange server (internal) and a POP3 connection to an outside mail provider. 

I can disable ALL the Outlook Add-ins, including the ACT Extensions, and Outlook still has this problem.  Only when we remove the ACT address book linkage, does Outlook shut down properly.  In other words, the Addins make no [deleted] difference.  Quit wasting our time with that game.

This problem has been around since at least ACT! 2006. 

While Sage does not seem to take it seriously, this problem has costly consequences.  Users don't know there is a ghost copy of Outlook running, so they run it again.  The second copy of Outlook in memory does not sync mail (even though it looks like it is) and users will miss important mail UNTIL THEY LOG OFF AND/OR REBOOT.  (Yes, if they are techie enough, they can use Task Manager to kill the Outlook ghosts, but I don't see Sage reimbursing us for this reckless waste of our employee's time.)

The user community has been complaining about this issue for many years.  Potential new buyers of ACT should be forewarned that this is a MAJOR, long-standing, uncorrected issue, especially for companies with mobile users on laptops (because they are more likely to enter and exit Outlook several times per day).

I for one can no longer recommend ACT due to the lack of response.  It is not the only issue that has gotten inherited from one version to the next, over 3, 4, and even more versions.  Absolutely shameful for the kind of money we have spent.