Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook detected a COM add-in Problem

Copper Contributor

Outlook detected a COM add-in Problem

Hi,

I'm having problems with one of our user's Outlook.  It has suddenly start loosing the ACT add-ins.  The tab disappears and is not present with opening.  Initially the add-ins were showing as Disabled.  I have undisabled them and they then reappear but then disappear again and then show as "inactive".  I can restore them by using the GO button on the com-addins option and ensuring that the ACT addin option is checked and then reopening in Administrator mode but the problem then re-occurs.  The problem has only just started happening and only on one particular PC.  Has anyone any suggestions for a fix or what I might be doing wrong!

Thanks

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Outlook detected a COM add-in Problem

Hello,

What is the version of Act! and what is the version of Office installed ..?

Note: Although the latest version of Act! it is compatible with Office at 64 Bit, I still suggest you use Office at 32 Bit to avoid integration problems between Act! and Outlook

If you want to know the complete matrix of the compatibility of Act! with Office, take a look at this link...  http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

1.jpg

-------

Additionally, remember to apply the exclusions in your Antivirus / Firewall that could be preventing the normal operation of the integration between Act! and Outlook...  http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25125

2.jpg

-----

Another recommendation is to deactivate the user account control, and restart the computer

3.jpg

Juan Otero
Juan.otero@praxisol.com
Copper Contributor

Sorry I should have mentioned in my original post  - we use ACT Premium v19.2 v4 and Outlook 2016 (32 bit version).

Thanks to Juan Carlos for his reply.  I'll work through this and see if it works.

Administrator

The next time you find the addin disabled, check File > Slow and Disabled COM Addins:

OUTLOOK_2018-05-17_10-19-32.png

If you see the Act Outlook addin in that list - you should be able to click "Always Enable this Addin".

Sometimes Outlook will disable an Addin that takes more than a couple of seconds to load during startup.

Copper Contributor

Thanks,
I'm already doing this and a little bit more as the addin does not restore. I have to go into the account options and the addin section and re enable it from there and then start Outlook in administrator mode. This then throws up other conflicts with ACT. But why has this suddenly started to happen? I can only think that something has occurred in a Windows update that is causing this to happen (its not an update in Office as I have all our instances of Office set to not update automatically as this had previously caused issues with ACT.
Administrator

It's difficult to say what's triggered it - and intermittent issues like this can be notoriously difficult to troubleshoot.

Could you provide a screenshot of the addins list the next time this happens? It may be that there is a conflicting addin causing the Act! one to fail to load.