Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook crashes when you try to access ACT address book

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Outlook crashes when you try to access ACT address book

Hi,  we've got two ongoing problems with our ACT setup - which I'll post in separate messages.  Our UK Act support is not being very supportive right now so I thought I'd see if anyone else was experiencing the issues.  We're running v10.0.1.199 with a mix of desktop (accessing the main database direct) and laptop users (using remote databases).

PROBLEM 1: This problem is common to both sets of users:  You go to compose a new email in Outlook (2003 SP3 under XP), Click on the <To> or <cc> buttons and try to select the ACT addressbook via the drop-down dialogue.  Nothing happens for 30 secs then the Outlook error window pops up saying "Outlook has experienced a problem and needs to close".

This seems to have started recently and MAY be related to our IT infrastructure and system updates.  Trouble is, these updates are hard to pin down as our IT is outsourced.  Any help would be very very welcome.

Andy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Outlook crashes when you try to access ACT address book

I've seen this happen if there are any invalid email addresses in the email field.  A quick test is to remove your address book and add the demo database.  If you don't experience the issue, then its probably what I suspected above.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

I would first check your regional ACT website and see if there is 10.0.3 (or 10.0.2) update for your version of ACT! 2008 in the UK.  Applying this update may help with ACT!'s ability to communicate with Outlook. Also, check the Windows event viewer on the affected workstations and see if there is an error log generated.  It sounds like it may either be an Outlook issue or possibly a .NET issue.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks ghollister, If you think that there is the possibility of 10.2 or 10.3 fixing I will do it, I've just resisted because of the effort in getting round all users' machines to update them. Sorry to be unsure, but can you tell how to go about accessing the Windows event viewer? It's not something I've played with. Very happy to test it though. Andy
Solution
Accepted by topic author gyroman
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I've seen this happen if there are any invalid email addresses in the email field.  A quick test is to remove your address book and add the demo database.  If you don't experience the issue, then its probably what I suspected above.

Agreed, dlunceford.  We had this same problem happen with ACT! 9.0.  ACT Support finally told us that formatting errors in the email adrress field was the culprit.  I located 33 problems in our 15,000+ database and corrected them.  The ACT! Address Book now functions properly in Outlook.

Now I need to determine whether there's a setting in ACT to only accept addresses that are in email format.

Copper Contributor

Hey Hey hey!!!  It's a great day.  I'd given up on finding a simple solution to this one.  But David and biankat, thank you, it's now sorted.

I've just been through every one of our 5,000+ contacts and found over 200 badly formatted email addresses.  Most had been there for a long time and were probably benign, but the major suspect was probably the one where a user entered the email address and then proceeded to lean on the hyphen(dash) key for several dozen characters!  Anyway, for the first time for ages my users can now all use the ACT address book in Outlook.  (If only it didn't sort by First Name - but that's another issue!!).

The editting process was greatly eased by 2008's ability to edit in the Contact List view and, if this forum didn't have the ability to alert me to new replies, it would probably be some time before I spotted the latest traffic.  All in all, a good day for technology helping the user!

Gratefully, Andy