Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook and Act Version 10.0

Outlook and Act Version 10.0

I have a network version of Act and I set up the Server Database. I installed one client to test with and I have a couple of questions regarding Act's integration with Outlook (our standard email client).

Before I ask my questions, we have an exchange server and everyone uses Outlook 2003 as their email client.

1) If I'm looking at a contact record in ACT and I click on the "Email" icon on the left hand side, I would expect that it would launch a new Outlook Message, pre-filled with my contacts email address. Instead, I get an error that says this:

"Object Reference Not Set To An Instance Of An Object".

Any ideas what this means?

2) Is there any way to synchronize my Outlook Contacts with my Act  Contacts, so that if I add someone to my Outlook Contacts, they automatically get added to Act?

Thanks

Ray

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Outlook and Act Version 10.0

Ray,

The error you are receiving is unfortunately very generic. Is there any other details in the Event viewer? Also, does it happen on every contact or only some?

On your second questions, Outlook and ACT contacts to automatically synchronize. You would need to import your Outlook Contacts into ACT and any time you added another contact to Outlook, you would need to import again. However, there is a third party add-on called DoubleLook that allows you to synchronize between Outlook and ACT. Here is a link if you are interested in checking in to it. http://estore.act.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=SDKADBL2_ES

I looked in the Event Viewer and there was nothing. I noticed that the PC had .NET version 1.1 (don't know if that makes any difference), so I upgraded that to 3.0. I applied some windows security updates, but other than that I'm at a loss. This works fine on another PC, so it's something to do with that PC. I'm thinking of just uninstalling ACT and starting over again.
Nickel Super Contributor

Hi Ray,

Neither .net 1.1 or 3.0 should have an effect on ACT 2008 as it uses .Net 2.0

An uninstall might be a good direction to go. If you are going to uninstall ACT, I would also recommend uninstalling the .Net Framework 2.0 as it could also be the source of the issue. Once ACT reinstalls, it will put .Net 2.0 back.

Will do, thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Okay, did the following: 1)Uninstalled ACT and the 2.0 .NET Framework 2)Rebooted 3) Before installing, I disabled Symantec Antivirus and disabled my Windows Firewall 4)Re-Installed ACT and it installed the 2.0 .NET Framework again. Now, when I click the Email icon on the left hand side, nothing happens. If I click the person's email address in the upper right hand corner, I get the following error: "Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID failed due to the following error: 80040154" I looked in the Event viewer and the only thing I see that may be an issue is regarding the Act Scheduler: "Event Type: Error Event Source: ACT! Scheduler Event Category: None Event ID: 0 Date: 2/5/2008 Time: 1:12:15 PM User: N/A Computer: TRI-1294 Description: Service cannot be started. System.Exception: Unable to start scheduler service. Missing server configuration information. at Act.Scheduler.SchedulerService.OnStart(String[] args) at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)" Thanks for any help you can give me. Ray
Nickel Super Contributor

Is the missing clsid {0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}?

If so, I've included an attachment that you will need to unzip and run. You will need to save the attachment to the desktop then unzip it and run the .reg file. Make sure ACT and Outlook is closed. Double click on the file and select yes to import it. Once that is complete, open Outlook and under Help, select Detect and Repair. Make sure to uncheck the box that says "Discard my customized settings and restore default settings"

Once that is complete, test in ACT.

BINGO! That did it. Thanks so much for your help. I do appreciate it. Ray