Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Services.exe not starting when ACT Prem 2009 loads

Copper Contributor

Outlook Services.exe not starting when ACT Prem 2009 loads

I'm running ACT Premium V2009.  Outlook services was loading when I started ACT.  For some reason it stopped to auto load when you start ACT.  If I manually start outlook services.exe it will load and allows e mails etc to be synced to the ACT contacts. 

One other thing is the Outlook services icon does not show on the task bar but the Outlook services program is running when I check in task manager.

I'm running Office 2007, Windows XP.  I had Norton 360 installed but took that off due other issues.

Any ideas  Thanks!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook Services.exe not starting when ACT Prem 2009 loads

The service may be disabled in the system startup. Go to Start/Run (XP) or Start/Search (Vista), and type msconfig...this opens the System Configuration Utility. Under the Startup tab, look for Startup Item "Act" with Command "C\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe". Make sure this service is enabled at startup.

The Quick Attach Progress icon will only appear while emails are attaching (white envelope, moving green arrow) or there are unresolved failed attachments (white envelope with red/white X). If you would like to manually open this screen, type the following command from Start/Run (XP) or Start/Search (Vista):

"C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe" -showqueue

Include the quotes and note the space after .exe"

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Any other ideas to kick start this program?I have Vista and it is showing in the MSCONFIG. 

I have typed in "C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\Act.Outlook.Service.exe" -showqueue

and nothing happens other than a screen opens and says nothing found do you want to try advanced search?

Make sure you have typed the command correctly.  The filepath only should be in quotes and there is a space after the closed quotes and -showqueue. Also, verify that this path is valid by browsing to it. If you have a different path to the ACT! program files, then you will need to edit the command line accordingly.

Also, are you trying to have the Quick Attach status screen show (which is what the command does) or just start the ACT! Outlook Service?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Actually just found that the service is running, but it is not attaching messages and does not show on my toolbar.  I would really like it to show up on the toolbar so I can click on it to see what's being attached or not.

If the service is already, the only reason I know of for that command not working is incorrect syntax or filepath. By default, that option will only show in your system tray while emails are being attached (white envelope with moving green arrow) or if their are unresolved failed attachments (white envelope with an X). Otherwise the command line is the only other way to bring it up.

If you are having an issue with emails not recording in History, please see if the information in KB 19948 helps.

Greig Hollister

Got it!  That is why I am not seeing it the system tray.  Thanks.

I have emails that did not get attached.  Is there a way to manually attach them?

Service is only recording history for email I send and is not tracking incoming messages.  Obviously both are important.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a fix?

Thanks again!

Have you set up the Outlook rule for incoming messages? Instructions are in KB 23020.

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

The History Queue might be lagging up outlook.service.exe. Try deleting the history queue and new emails should attach in history.