Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Not Syncing after initial sync in either direction

Outlook Not Syncing after initial sync in either direction

I followed the normal sync process to setup contact sync with outlook (I use godaddy exchange server).  I find that when I do an outlook sync now, it says it was successful, but new contacts I entered into outlook are not transferred in, and new contacts I entered in ACT are not transferred to outlook. I have it set to transfer all contacts.

Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook Not Syncing after initial sync in either direction

Hello Peter,
If you go to Help/About ACT!, what is your exact version? Also, what version of Outlook are you using?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Same problem with Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.0.572.0, Hot Fix 2 and Outlook 2010 (32-bit), Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit).  The Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 required by ACT! 2012 Pro shows as "installed" during the ACT installation, but it is the 64-bit SQL server.  Might that be the problem?

wsg
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same here with version 2011 Premium running 13.1.111.0 Hotfix 5 nothing is syncing correctly.......

Copper Contributor

Update on my ACT 2012 Pro not syncing properly with Outlook.  The ACT chat support crew (Kim Simmons and Matt ___, and Kim is not the lead guitarist for Savoy Brown) took a great deal of time with me yesterday and were really good.  KIim logged on to my macine remotely and went through my ACT and Outlook programs, tried everything he knew, and could not figure it out.  One thing to know:  Kim said the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 64-bit is not a concern (the 64-bit thing).  They elevated it, gave me a phone number to call and the case ID.  I did so, got another very fine support person (name too complicated to remember), who also logged remotely into my machine, tried everything, and deduced that the ACT database I created was the culprit, as the ACTDemo database contacts synced fine.  He suggested I send my database in for them to analyze.  Afterward I discovered a problem with his deduction.  He had created a new profile in my Outlook and synced the ACTDemo contacts to that and it worked fine.  Well, I deleted his new temporary profile and tried syncing the ACTDemo contacts and it did NOT work in my default profile.  Calendar sync seems to work fine.

So, as professional and courteous as they were, the problem was not solved.  It needs to be solved, so I am going back on chat and finding out how much higher my situation must be elevated.  I give credit to Sage Software for building an Outlook sync feature in ACT, but I imagine trying to work with the bloated and proprietary mess most Microsoft products are must be very frustrating for them.  I'll post again when I learn more.

Copper Contributor

I have done a lot more "discovery" along with numerous support chats:

1. All contacts in the sync set successfully sync to Outlook the first time they are included in a sync and the first time only.
  2. If a synced record in Outlook is removed in Outlook, it will not return to Outlook with subsequent syncs with ACT, even if the original record in ACT is changed.
  3. If the records remain in Outlook, changes to those records in ACT are successfully synced to Outlook.
  4. Any time a new record is added to ACT, it will sync successfully with Outlook – but only the first time it is included in a sync set (see #2).
  5. Records added to Outlook first do not sync with ACT even if the “Add Outlook Contacts to Sage ACT! and synchronize changes” box is checked in Outlook Synchronization Preferences in ACT

============================================================

Then created new database, imported data from Excel.  The very first contact sync attempt with Outlook did NOT work.  No contacts were entered in Outlook, but ACT had message saying sync was successful.  I entered two new contacts by hand and neither of them synced.

One of the suggestions from support was to uninstall Outlook and ACT at the same time, reboot, re-install Outlook first, then re-install ACT.  Did so, that didn’t help.

After all this, I suspect the primary problem is that an ACT database created with records imported from Excel, which ACT allows and encourages, creates some kind of corruption in the database.  Not to mention the anomalies referenced in points 1-5 above.

Also:  Sometimes Outlook shows Add-Ins tab, sometimes it does not.

Bottom line … ACT synchronization with Outlook is still flawed.  For now I am giving up on syncing between Outlook and ACT.  All it does is cause problems with Outlook.  I will make all my changes in ACT and then from time to time export the ACT database records I want in Outlook, and simply run a new import in Outlook.  It’s more cumbersome, but it’s the only way at this point.

Copper Contributor

By the way, no problems with Calendar syncing.  Also, I suspect the problems with contact sync has to do with the user's computer configuration and settings, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept when every fix attempted winds up unsuccessful.

how do you export?
have you ever looked into sync123 aftermarket software?
the demo online looks great, but it is pricey at $495
Copper Contributor

@jskelding...thanks for the tip on 123 Sync.  I agree with you - It looks like the solution. It isn't as expensive as you posted unless you meant to say $195 instead of $495.  And now they are offering a big mark-down on it to $125. That's still not cheap but I think it will be worth it for those who want reliable synchronization between ACT! and Outlook.  I downloaded the 15-day trial, it looks great. Very, very comprehensive and developers who communicate well. Their web site actually communicates in a manner one can understand, and unlike most other software web sites, it includes all the information you actually need to know.  Can't tell you how the sync went yet because I am waiting on a trial verification code from them, which unfortunately is not something they produce quickly.  That is odd, and my 15-day trial is already down to 13 days waiting for the verification code, but I expect this to be the solution.  As for exporting from ACT!, set up whatever list you want to export through a filter/group/whatever, put it in list view, click on "Export" from the File drop-down and go from there.  Excel is an export option. 

Copper Contributor

Well.  After all this time ... the 123 Sync program works for ACT! 2012 if you purchase the $495 version right now.  The $125 "Client" program is not compatible with ACT! 2012 at this time.  Interesting that this company (Sync123.com), and perhaps others, are out there making money on something that Sage Software says you should be able to do by default with ACT!  I am using the trial version of the 123 Sync Server version, which IS compatible with ACT! 2012 and it works without any problem, unlike ACT! sync program.  But there is no way I am paying $495, and I doubt I will pay even the $125 for the "Client"  version if and when it is compatible with ACT! 2012. I suggest Sage Software get it right or just stop offering the Outlook sync in their ACT! program.