Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Integration - Errors and Takes Forever

Copper Contributor

Outlook Integration - Errors and Takes Forever

[ Edited ]

I've gone back to using the desktop version of Act v18.1. I already MS Office 2016 installed (offline installation was done) and then installed v18.1 of Act Premium. Upon trying to run Synchronization in order to sync contacts 1-way from Act to Outlook, I get an exception unknown software exception error. I have to say, I have yet to be able to get the contact syncrhonization with outlook to work reliably or without any errors. Issues I've had in the past include:

1. Very long sync time

2. No contacts are synced

3. Error Messages

4. Exception Errors

It's a mess really. Please tell me there's a way to get this to work reliably. Here's the full error message I got when I initiated the syncrhonization process for the first time after doing yet another uninstall and re-install of Act v18.1:

"The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x00000000741C96C2."  After this, Act.Integration error message pops up saying "Act.Integration has stopped working" and forces me to close the program.

Here's where things get wacky, I keep Act open when this happens, I re-run the synchronization again, and this time, the Act.Integration Progress bar shows up in the bottom right corner and says "Synchronizing Contacts..." but it takes 3-4 hours to complete. We only have 2,100 contacts of which 471 are in this sync set. It's taking hours to sync 471 contacts? Give me a break!

Please, can someone help me figure this out as I was going to deploy the desktop version on 3 other machines and if my users experience the same issues, it's going to be a mess!

Thanks

Copper Contributor

Re: Outlook Integration Exception Unknown Error

[ Edited ]

Fully re-install eliminated the error but still showing up messages in Event Viewer that don't look good as it relates to integration. For every contact synced I get the following event in the windows event viewer:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.OutlookContactSyncProvider cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Exit from Method: Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.OutlookContactSyncProvider.GetPhoneBasedOutlookContact

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then for successfully synced contacts I get the following:

The description for Event ID 0 from source Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.OutlookContactSyncProvider cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Created a new contact in Outlook. Contact Name: XXXXXXX

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The X's are me hiding the contact name for privacy purposes.  Then I also see the following entry in the event viewer as well:

Exit from Method: Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.OutlookContactSyncProvider.CreateItemData

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line in all this is simple. Why on earth is the Outlook Sync add-in so friggin unreliable? I have yet to have a single installation where this hasn't created problems resulting in either full reinstallation of both MS Office or Act itself. Guys, it shouldn't be this hard - I see so many other CRM tools with very quick and simply integrations with Outlook.

#frustrated-Act-User!

Copper Contributor

Completed a sync successfully after full re-install of Act. It took just over 3 hours to sync 470 contacts. I did not sync the calendar. There must be something wrong here because taking 3 hours simply to synchronize seems like over kill.

Incidentally, I ran Synchronization right after it was done the firs time, and it took 3+ hours again, this time it spent most of the time with the message "Getting Contacts From Outlook".

I desperately need to get this resolved. I can assure you, none of my colleagues are going to be pleased with a sync time this long.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Why sync the contacts? Outlook can just use Act! as the address book ... Much more efficient and less prone to data errors
Copper Contributor

Because otherwise, we won't see their names on our mobile devices when a contact us calling us. The advantage of having those contacts in Outlook through our exchange server is that I can than see who is calling me on my mobile phone. Without syncing, that's not possible and I really don't want to use HHC as its a bit of a dinosaur. If a feature is unreliable why do they have it at all? The solution shouldn't be to do it differently but rather for them to fix the issue at hand.

Yeah, every major software product in the world has some flaky features ... With Act!, the two I won't use is the contact sync (Outlook or Gmail) and SmartTasks

If it's just for the details once in the address book, you could export from Act! and import to Outlook ... via CSV.

I still use HHC as the only really reliable way to have Act! on the phone ... They also have a new version that's expected in Nov
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Jag,

In order to better track down the issue here, it would be useful to learn if the issue is also present when syncing with a new, empty Outlook profile. Does it also occur on a new database that contains some test contacts?

I have the exact same issue with trying to sync with Outlook 2016 (same exception error at the same memory location).  The only difference is when I try to sync again after the initial attempt, it looks as though it has successfully synced, but nothing has been synced.

I am syncing to a Outlook 2016 profile that doesn't have any existing contacts.  I had previously deleted the contacts in the profile to do a clean one-way sync to Outlook.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Administrator

Hi Bovencamp,

Is this issue occurring on any other databases (i.e the demo DB), or for any other users of the same database?
Are you attempting 1 or 2 way syncs with Outlook?
Could you please confirm which version of Act and Windows you're running?

Also, if you look at the history for the Outlook sync, are there any errors?