Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Express as Liason for ACT! w/ non-Outlook Email System (Gmail or whatever)

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Outlook Express as Liason for ACT! w/ non-Outlook Email System (Gmail or whatever)

I am having some issues with ACT! 2008 Premium for Web (10.0.1.167) and getting it to function with Outlook Express (6).

I use ACT and ACT for Web with my Outlook 2003 with no problems at all.  However, my company has independent sales representatives on different email systems (AOL, Gmail, etc) that we really want to get using ACT! for Web.  I have read on these boards that ACT! only operates with an email client that uses traditional ports, but that you can use Outlook Express to be the connector of the two (i.e. Get your Gmail to load into Outlook Express, then OE is then in turn compatible with ACT!).

I got my Gmail account to work with my Outlook Express with no problems at all.  However, I can't seem to get ACT! for Web (or the desktop version for that matter) to connect to my email.  I am assuming it's user error, but I have no idea what my error is.

What is the method for getting ACT! for Web Premium 2008 (10.0.1.167) to properly function with Outlook Express as the client for a Gmail or any non-Outlook/Exchange email system?  Is the problem Outlook Express?

I am at my wits end, and extremely disappointed that in version 10 of a GREAT piece of software, they have made it impossible to use a free, non-Microsoft email system.

Please help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincentm1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Outlook Express as Liason for ACT! w/ non-Outlook Email System (Gmail or whatever)

Are you trying to get integration from the web client or do the sales reps have ACT! installed locally on their machines?

The web client will not integrate with OE.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author vincentm1
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Outlook Express as Liason for ACT! w/ non-Outlook Email System (Gmail or whatever)

Are you trying to get integration from the web client or do the sales reps have ACT! installed locally on their machines?

The web client will not integrate with OE.

Tuned Listener

Thanks for your assistance.  I am going to go somewhere and cry for a little bit, then convince everyone to get a licensed copy of Outlook.
Tuned Listener

So just so I am clear, my independent reps will have to have Outlook (say, 2003 or 2007) or they will not be able to have any email functionality with ACT! for Web?

Platinum Elite Contributor

They don't have to have Outlook. As part of my business I use ACT! for the WEB and I have the ACT! for the WEB setup through the internal email client for ACT! for the WEB. It has the option of using the ACT! for the WEB email client as the default or not. I personally use OE as my default email client and receive all my email there. If I want to save a received message I simply copy the message contents to the contact history. I send email to contact through the ACT! for the WEB email client and those messages get automatically saved.

The integration with Outlook is mainly for people who must or want to use Outlook. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Thank you everyone for your help.  Smiley Happy

Tuned Listener

Okay so now it is telling me that I have to put email information in order to use the ACT! for Web built-in email client.  My email information is for a gmail account.  It then tells me that it is "unable to authenticate outgoing mail server.  username or password is incorrect" - and the outgoing mail server is correct (in this case, smtp.gmail.com) and my username and password are correct.

So I guess I am missing the way to use the ACT email client correctly.  It says I can't use it without putting in my email info, but when I put in my email info, it tells me it is incorrect.

How is it you circumvent it's need for email information it doesn't like?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Typically the outgoing email account will be your local ISP email outgoing information. For example, whether I was using my business email account or my personal Comcast email account, my outgoing email information in the setup is the outgoing Comcast information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Okay that makes sense.  Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!  Hopefully you won't hear from me again on this topic. Smiley Happy