Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 64 bit

Copper Contributor

Outlook 64 bit

When will ACT support 64 bit versions of Outlook??   Many users are migrating to 64 bit machines and software. As a long-time user and promoter of ACT, who just recently moved up to a 64 bit platform, I think that it is very unfortunate for ACT not to support this platform! If this is not remedied soon, I may be forced to migrate to an alternative CM solution.  Smiley Sad

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 64 bit

That can't happen until Microsoft provides the interface links for ACT! to connect to, as yet they haven't done so.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

You will see lots of posts on the group regarding this.  Bottom line, a 64 bit OS does not necessitate a 64 bit version of OFFICE or other programs. Very view people need 64 bit office and you can run 32 bit office on 64 bit OS just fine.  Later if your needs dictate a 64 bit version of Office, it's pretty easy to reinstall that version of Office.   

For now, ACT only works with 32 bit version of Office.  By the way, ACT also is a 32 bit program and works just fine on a 64 bit oS

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

I am well aware that you can run 32bit software on 64bit machines. I've been doing that for several years! But I just recently got a new machine that came preconfigured with 64bit Office. I did NOT realize that ACT does not support 64 bit Office. Very frustrating!

Microsoft actually advises on their site that you should install the 32bit version if wanting to use add-ons.

With Office 2013, they've even gone back to making the x32 version the default ... even on x64 systems
Copper Contributor

Telling people to ignore market trends and that they don't need 64-bit Outlook and should go back to 32-bit Outlook so they can run your software, in this case Act!, is a really poor marketing strategy.   Just saying....

It's also Microsoft's position ... that 64bit versions of Office should only be used if needed to access spreadsheets over 3GB. Microsoft themselves have been unable to get their ActiveX controls (used by most addons) working on the 64bit version

That's why the 32bit version is now the default with Office 2013

Jon,

Here is my recommendation - buy a Hybrid Car - and take out the electric engine.

The reason why people go 64-bit is that you finally get above the 4 gig threshold without any nast workarounds - like having a 64-big OS and a 32-bit Office program.

Instead of forcing users to install a program and then change their PC, maybe ACT! should get working on the 64-bit link.

But then, this is just my humble opinion.

Michael

64-bit and loving it

There is a reason that Microsoft advises to use the x32 version ... the only advantage of the x64 version (as stated) is if you're using spreadsheets larger than 3GB - are you?

There's no need to "change their PC" ... and it's Microsoft that's been unable to get their ActiveX controls working in x64 in Office.
Bronze Contributor

Cough*BS*Cough.  How is it that Salesforce and Zoho CRM both offer 64-bit plugins for Outlook 2010? Salesforce released their's in their Winter 2012 release, and Zoho released their's in Spring 2013. So apparently Microsoft is providing those interface links to others, maybe just not you.

And almost all new computer that have been coming with Office 2010 Pre-installed, it comes in 64-bit mode.

Signature