Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2013 sync with ACT Premium 2013

Re: Outlook 2013 sync with ACT Premium 2013

Amen -- that is my point exactly!

In any event - it seems there should be a solution available by now from ACT ---- it is unfortunate that all the blame is being put on Microsoft - when it is not their fault - they have the right to produce their product to the satisfaction of THEIR customers, just like ACT should develop a product that works to the best benefit of THEIR customers. The blame should not be on Microsoft.--- the blame is on the apparent inaction by ACT to keep up with a developing product.

Platinum Elite Contributor

And many other developers are having similar issues ... If Microsoft don't provide the tools to interact simply with their Home version, then they are not providing "a product that works to the best benefit of THEIR customers"
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

But the thing is: Microsoft does provide these tools. They just work in a new (and better) way.

But changing software costs money and companies would rather like their existing codebase to keep working so they can charge money for it every year without having to do much work.

Also. Mike, I've had a chat with a Microsoft helpdesk employee. The following Office 2013 versions are CTR:

Office 2013 Home & Student
Office 2013 Home & Business
Office 2013 Professional.

The following are NOT Click to Run.

Office 2013 Standard
Office 2013 Professional Plus

Those two are afaik only available by volume license key agreement. The link you gave earlier shows no way to buy the standard/professional plus version outside of a VLK agreement.

You'll note that the Office 365 APIs are still being released ... some only released last month:
http://community.office365.com/en-us/blogs/office_365_technical_blog/archive/2013/05/06/are-you-a-de...

All of the non-subscription versions are non-CTR

Besides, if you like at the link I provided at the beginning of this thread, I explain how I've got it to work WITH the CTR versions - by installing the trial of the full version first, then installing the CTR over the top
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Installing the trial first would work with a professional version but how does it react to a Home & Business version? Certain applications like Access are not included in that version.

Second of all. All of the non-subscription versions are CTR Excluding the VLK versions.

Even if you download a full DVD ISO of Office 2013 Home & Business (which is NOT a subscription version) and install it using that DVD, It IS a CTR version. I tried this, believe me. I contacted Microsoft about this as well.

Further: In-process add-ins in outlook work in the CTR version(that's why attaching an e-mail works for example.) It's the out-of-process add-ins that don't work.

This is the card microsoft is obviously pulling and will probably continue to pull in the future.

What the act developers should have done is rewritten the outlook add-in so that instead of Act itself trying to control outlook, it would forward commands using WCF or another inter-application communication framework/technology, and thus have the in-process add-in execute the necesary work.

Microsoft has been pulling this card since 2010. But as they didn't want to force everyone to have to change their software at once back then they still offered a full version for download if you had the CTR version. They don't do that anymore. Developers have had more than enough time to get their act together.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982431

I'm at home now and using Home Premium 365 over the top of a long-expired trial ... works fine

And, I don't know about your country, but in Australia, they DO have the full Office 2013 individual versions for sale - both in retail stores and on-line downloads.

BTW: Even Google Apps users have needed a similar workaround:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/apps/b6q0wCG3ag0[1-25-false]
Copper Contributor

Just because Google Apps users need a similar workaround doesn't make it right. CTR is here to stay and it wouldn't surprise me if it were to become the only option in future versions.

Yes, the full versions are still for sale in Australia, but that's not the rule, see the following wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2013#Distribution_changes

Guess we'll have to try the installing over a trial workaround if we ever find a standard/professional plus trial in dutch...
But again, this shouldn't be the way to do things.

CTR has existed since the 2010 version of Office. There has been enough time to rewrite the add-ins to work with it. The fact that it hasn't happened yet is pretty sad for a product like this.

Yes, it shouldn't be the way ... but, as Microsoft are STILL releasing parts of the new API (and improving some bits they've left out), this isn't something that Act! (or any of the other developers) can add on their own - at least not as rap[idly as the market would want.

Most of the CTR APIs, until recently, only worked for users who had MS Exchange ... and the 2013 ones are vastly different from the 2010 model.

Europower,

I re-read the MS article on Office 2010 and have realised an additional issue ... in order for ACT! to sync and some history functions, it uses "hybrid" calls ... and MS haven't added those in CTR

This also explains (other than the APIs being unfinished) why Google, and so many other developers, are finding it very difficult to support CTR.

Rewriting everything with "In-process" calls means some functions can't be supported at all ... and no function can start unless Office is already open - and the call has to be started from Office (not from Act!)

That being the case, I'd say MS might have to provide additional tools before many enterprise users could take it up ... although, this does explain why they released the APIs for O365 with Exchange before they did the standalone ones - and the Exchange versions have more functionality.

Hopefully this is just an oversight rather than MS view that standalone O365 users don't need apps that connect in that way