Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2010 integration

Astute Commentator

Outlook 2010 integration

Hi,

I apologize in advance if I'm beating a dead horse...  I've googled for answers, searched on this forum and spent the last couple of hours digging for information everywhere I could.  I've applied all necessary patches and Hotfixes to bring me current and I am still not able to integrate Outlook 2010 with Act! Premium 2009.  I read several threads where people questioned when the integration would be available and several more where Sage was criticized for it's inability to "keep current" with it's software integration.

My question is, since I was unable to find a simple and concise answer - Is there any way to sync Outlook 2010 with Act! Premium 2009?

I currently have:

ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4

just so I can we can both be certain that I do have the latest updates.

My email has worked perfectly up until this point, but after upgrading to Office 2010 (I needed Access 2010 for my work) from Office 2007 suddenly there is no communication between ACT! and Outlook.  I've done all the usual stuff, checked that Outlook is my default email application and gone through the setup under Tools>Preferences>Email and Outlook no longer shows as an available option.

So, is this possible or not?  I have to say that if it's not possible then I am more than a little disappointed in Sage's ability to keep current.  If my search results were current and true then it appears that ACT! 2010 doesn't have Outlook 2010 integration also?  How is this possible?

Thanks very much for any replies.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 integration

To your ACT! 2009 the answer is no. Regarding ACT! 2010, it was released several months prior to the release of Office 2010. ACT! 2011 does integrate with Office 2011.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Roy is correct, but there is a workaround that might work for you. It doesn't integrate all of Microsoft Office, and it doesn't enable you to do Calendar synchronization, but it is better than nothing.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2671...

Let us know if that works out for you.

Astute Commentator

Thank you both very much for your replies, it's good to at least have a definite and current answer to confirm what I found in older posts re: this subject.

I looked at the workaround and was very intently hoping it would solve my issue, but it shows that the workaround is for 32-bit Office only and I have a 64-bit version to go with my 64-bit system.  I don't know much about the differences between 32 and 64 bit software other than supposedly 64-bit is "better" and that they don't play well together.

This is very frustrating to discover, especially after using 2009 with relatively few issues for ~2 years now.

I hate to point an accusatory finger, but I can only assume that Sage refuses to rollout updates like this for their software to keep people coming back and buying newer versions.  I abhor business practices like this...  I mean, I wouldn't even mind if they only rolled out new versions every few years (like Microsoft) but expecting customers to buy new software annually just to have integration with current technology is a bit much.

Please forgive my "rant" but I believe it to be a sensible one.  Let me say "thank you" to all the end users who spend their time on here helping others, it's a very noble endeavor.

No version of ACT! has any compatibility with the 64-bit version of Office. Microsoft indicates there's no advantage to be gained with Office 64-bit unless you have Word or Excel files larger than 1-gig. For Word the only real advantage would be load and save. Excel would include spreadsheets that had extensive internal calculations.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Thanks for sharing that with me, as I said above I really had no idea...  The downside is that I've already purchased my copy of Office (64-bit) thinking I was getting the best thing for my system. =(

Thanks again, I gave kudos to you guys.  I don't know much about "kudos" but I've seen them on forums before and most of the time people want them. =)

Silver Contributor

Not to beat a dead horse, but this clip from a microsoft website:

Office 2010 products are available in 64-bit versions; however, for the best productivity and user experience, Microsoft recommends 32-bit Office 2010 for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. Office 64-bit is optimized for advanced data analysis scenarios that most users don’t require, and existing 32-bit add-ins are not supported on Office 64-bit.

The recommendations for which edition of Office 2010 to install are as follows:

• If users in your organization depend on existing extensions to Office, such as ActiveX controls, third-party add-ins, in-house solutions built on previous versions of Office, or 32-bit versions of programs that interface directly with Office, we recommend that you install 32-bit Office 2010 (the default installation) on computers that are running both 32-bit and 64-bit supported Windows operating systems.

• If some users in your organization are Excel expert users who work with Excel spreadsheets that are larger than 2 gigabytes (GB), they can install the 64-bit edition of Office 2010. In addition, if you have in-house solution developers, we recommend that those developers have access to the 64-bit edition of Office 2010 so that they can test and update your in-house solutions on the 64-bit edition of Office 2010.
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

If you uninstall Office and then reinstall you should have an option to install the 32-bit version.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Thanks to both of you again, I think I'm going to see what recourse I may have to possibly switch to the 32-bit version and see how that goes.  I suppose this is what happens, the one time I don't really research a purchase and I make a mistake.

I also hadn't thought about uninstalling back to a 32-bit version, I was too focused on what a headache rolling back to the 2007 version would be.

Thanks again!

Nice link, Jon... was looking for an official MS statement that x64 wasn't best for most users.