Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2010 - customizing the Outlook toolbar for ACT

Copper Contributor

Outlook 2010 - customizing the Outlook toolbar for ACT

We're just about to make the switch of our 2011 ACT Premium installation from XP/Outlook 2003, to Windows7 Enterprise/Outlook 2010.  I'm running a testbed installation right now before committing to the rollout to a group of laptop-hosted remote database configurations. Operationally, everything seems to check out just fine.

However, there's one aspect of the ACT/Outlook integration which - as delivered - is going to make it harder for users to access the "Attach to ACT" and related ACT icons that they are used to seeing on their main Outlook toolbar.  With Outlook 2010 (in the main In-Box view), the ACT buttons are not visible until you click on the 'Add-Ins' tab to bring up that particular toolbar ribbon.  The same is true in the open message view.  I'm looking for a way to customize the Hometab of the ribbon (or the Quick Access Toolbar) to make the ACT icons more readily available.

The best I've managed to do is to add 'toolbar commands' icon to the Quick Access Toolbar, which, if you click it, breaks open the ACT icons.  This works, but isn't a great solution.  And incidently, the same approach doesn't work at all when customizing the QAT in the Open message view.

Is it that icons in the Addons part of the ribbon simply cannot be moved, or has Sage not implemented the Outlook protocols correctly?  Has anyone managed to get any further than I have - either by resort to Outlook macros or simply by knowing more about Outlook 2010 than I do?

Andy

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 - customizing the Outlook toolbar for ACT

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here -
http://community.act.com/t5/SHARE-YOUR-IDEAS/idb-p/ideas

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on. It also allows other users to vote on these so Sage can get an idea of the demand

This article might help word the request to make it easier for management to look at it:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/01/how-are-product-management-decisions.html

Did you find any solution for this problem, we're migrating to Outlook 2010 ourselves now and have run into this as a major problem for our sales people as well.

Copper Contributor

No solution from this end, I'm afraid.  I'm still hoping for someone to pop up with a suitable hack, but I'm worried it won't be possible if Sage haven't followed Outlook Add-In protocols correctly.  Please do post again if you hear anything.

Andy