Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2010 attachment problem not fixed in ACT!2011 SP1 hot fix 5

Loyal Listener

Outlook 2010 attachment problem not fixed in ACT!2011 SP1 hot fix 5

When I send an email in ACT! 2011 Premium SP1 HF5 the Attach File icon starts out inactive (gray). If I click on the Attach Item icon twice, it becomes active. It often stays active unless I stop/start Outlook.

Any cures?

I reported this earlier and was directed to upgrade to HF4. When I replied that I was on HF4, I received no further replies.

Thanks,

Joe M

ACT! 2011 Premium SP1 HF5, Windows 7 Pro (64), Outlook 2010 (32).

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 attachment problem not fixed in ACT!2011 SP1 hot fix 5

Joe,

After I complete tests on 2012 Network Sync performance issues I'll check out your issue but I have Office 2007 on my W7 64bit.  Then I'll revert to 2011 Prem SP1 HotFix5 to see the results. 

1. History of you installs was ACT! 2011 then after previous installed Hot Fixes you installed SP1 HFx.  From that time on you always downloaded the SP1 HFx and not installed just HF right?

2.  Need you to expand on the steps you took to understand better. Example after I create for my ACT! 2011 SP1 HF4 a PDF or DOC file go to Documents Tab to Add the file.  Next I have in the ACT Contact record field with the persons email address, so all I do is highlight the added file in the Tab and click on E-mail Document button.  Outlook will pop-up a new message with the Attached: file showing in color yet you say its grey icon?.

3. There was no problem with ACT! 2011 SP1 HF4 right?

Loyal Listener

JM,

1. I first installed a product download that included SP1 HF1. I then installed SP1 HF4 from a download. I then converted my production DB from ACT!6. Today I installed SP1 HF5 from a download.

2. This has nothing to do with the Documents tab. I can recreate by:

Loggin on;

Starting ACT!

Selecting menu item Write -> E-Mail Message

When the Oulook window comes up, the Attach File icon is inactive.

Click on the Attach Item icon twice to make the Attach File icon active.

If I start Outlook first, I get the problem on the first email. On some sbsequent email, the problem disappears.

3. The problem is not new to HF5. I had the problem from the time I started using ACT!2011 which was on HF4. That's how I reported it earlier. The problem was not fixed in HF5.

Thanks for your response,

Joe

JM
Nickel Contributor

Joe,

I now see what you mean.  When I even click on the email address in the email field of the contact Outlook opens up the new message and Attach File Icon in the Include section is Grey.

Solution click in the Email Body.

If you create new from Outlook its not grey if the email is in your contacts address book.

I spent time looking and reading over internet why the new message when ACT merged email address into new message it does not by default know it will be HTML Internet format even though in ACT Tools Preferences Email format is set to HTML.

If you double click on email address in the new message you get E-mail Properties and you see Internet format is showing "Let Outlook decide the best sending format". 

If one click in the Body activates Attach File icon that is the best it will be. I noticed if I click on another windows application and back to ACT and click on that email everytime the new message Attach Icon will be grey.  For that part and if the message is open and you click on another application window and back to that email the grey is gone.

Hope that helps,

JM

Loyal Listener

That workaround works. More generally, anything that gets the focus out of the email header slots seems to activate the Attach File icon (e.g., set a flag). Also, once the icon is activated the problem goes away for as long as Outlook stays open.

My guess is that when ACT! has to fire up Outlook, it does not initialize it correctly (well, not completely correctly).

Thanks for your response,

Joe