Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Optimizing network speed

Avid Listener

Optimizing network speed

We are in the process of replacing our server and upgrading our network.  Currently the server is 7 years old and Act crawls on it.  What are the best practices to achievce optimal speed when  building from the ground up.  Unfortunately we have 10/100 switches and it will be that way for a while, does that have the most impact on this?  The new server is going to be a Dell R520 dual processor unit with about 32gb of ram.  We have about 15 users with about 30k in contacts.  Can someone please shed some insight so i can get the most speed out of this.

Thanks,

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Optimizing network speed

Will the server carry out any other task other than host the ACT! dB? One sure way to SLOW down your ACT! system is to run Exchange Server on the same server that hosts your ACT! system.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Avid Listener

No, but origiinally we did host it on an exchange server but thats been  disabled for a year now.

Silver Contributor

at 30 users, you can benefit from SQL Standard.  Fast hard drives help, more processor helps, more Ram helps.  You're wise to get exchange off that server, it will chew up your resources.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

The three things I find that help performance with that number of users/contacts in the database are:

1. SQL Standard
  2. Adequate RAM
  3. FAST drive i/o

Ben.

Bronze Elite Contributor

The respondents have offered good advice.

The other aspect is the database itself. If you don't regularly run Database Maintenace you ought to schedule that to run every day.You could take a look at archiving the database and removing old data, you can do both from the database maintenance menu in ACT! Tools. If you have an old version of ACT! it would pay to upgrade to get the benefit of speed improvements in later versions of ACT!. In considering a new server, SSD drives are a good choice as a SQL database is I/O intensive.       

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Avid Listener

Thanks for all the advice. We currently have about 15 concurrent users.  What is the threshold before its time to move to SQL?  Is that difficult to transisiotn into?