Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunity Sub-Report

Copper Contributor

Opportunity Sub-Report

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to create a sub-report for my Opportunity report to list each of the products associated with an opporunity. I'm not sure what field I should be using to link the two. If I right-click the sub-report and select data there are a bunch of fields with non-descript name: Opportunity Field, Opportunity Field1, etc. When you first add the subreport, the link field window list has a Field Column and Field Type Column. There are three fields, Field and Field1 with the type Opportunity Name. I have no idea which to use, but none of them work anyway. No matter what I do, it wont output the opportunity product info.Is there some other trick to getting this sub-report to show up?

Message Edited by kurtm on 08-17-2008 04:57 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opportunity Sub-Report

You want to link to the Opportunity ID field.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Got it. I first had to add the OpporunityID field to the main report so it would be a choice when linking the sub report. So I have done that, but nothing is coming through on my subreport. I even tried adding the OpportunityID on the subreport but nothing displays. I even set the sub report to No for hide if empty, but even the sub header doesn't show up.

There is some problem with the report design but what exactly it is isn't obvious and would take direct analysis of the report template to determine what the problem is.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I figured it out. Technically it was the report design, but really it's the Report Designer itself. For some reason the sub-report defaults to not visible. You have to change it while editing the sub-report itself, not just from the main report template.The only way to notice this are the very subtle diagonal hash marks on the sub-report section backgrounds, which are almost unnoticable on a small laptop LCD or by noticing that specific property on the Properties window, which is conveniently off by default.

Thanks for the OpportunityID field suggestion though, that was the problem with not getting the data.

Hoping that someone at Sage reads this as I am more than a little unimpressed with the Report Designer and accompanying documentation.

There is some sense to having the sections of the sub-report start off as not visible. I had forgot about that because it's so automatics for me now to make the necessary sections visible when I'm working on a sub-report.

I will agree that there is a lack of any comprehensive documentation on the ACT! report designer. However, I am impressed by the capabilities of the underlying report generator and find the main limitation is the fixed data sourcing that the report editor uses. I'm hoping for the addition of open data sourcing in a future version. In case you are curious about what can be done with the ACT! reports, here is a link to my custom report package and from there you can view a PDF of samples of my reports.

http://www.techbenders.citymax.com/Reports.html

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129