Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunity History Question

Opportunity History Question

If multiple contacts are associated with an opportunity, why do all of the history items associated with the opportunity become attached to each of the contacts associated with the opportunity if one of the opportunity fields is updated/changed?

Example: A phone call is made to John Doe, the phone call history item is recorded to John and associated with the opportunity, I then change the opportunity name but this causes the earlier phone call history with John to also attach itself to Jane Doe who just happens to be associated with that opportunity, but the call wasn't made to her.

Administrator

Re: Opportunity History Question

Hi jay2010,

I've tested and was not able to replicate this issue in Act! v18.2 u4. The history remained attached to only the contact recorded after updating an opportunity which was associated with multiple contacts.

Please could you let us know what version of Act you have installed?
What version of Windows are you using?

Gary,

Thanks for taking time to check that out, that's actually great news that you cannot replicate the issue. I am able to replicate the issue on multiple databases, this leads me to believe that I have an installation/version issue. The desktop remote client I'm using is Act! Premium Version 18.1.103.0, Update 3, the browser/cloud version is Act! Premium (Web) Version: 18.1.108.0.

Something I also noticed is that if I update/change the opportunity name on the browser/cloud instance, the system logs me out and shows an error at the login page as follows: "An error has occurred on the server and has been logged. Please contact your administrator if this problem persists.".

I'm left thinking something is corrupt somewhere, but I'm not sure if it's the remote client or cloud instance.

I've opened a help ticket and will post back here with results.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi jay2010,

If you are an Act! Premium Cloud customer, then a ticket is the best method for getting the log-out issues resolved.

I've tested this behaviour in Act v18.1 and this issue does indeed occur as you've described. It must have been fixed in a later update.
Please make sure you don't update your desktop installation of Act to a version higher than the hosted database, as this would then be incompatible.

Gary, I greatly appreciate your help!

I got a ticket number this am confirming that the histories should not attach to other associated contacts to an opportunity when making  field change, no solution provided yet as they basically just wanted more detail, screenshots etc., hopefully someone gets back to me soon.

In the interim, I updated to Act! Premium Version 18.1.103.0, Update 5 on the remote client which seems to have resolved the combining of contact history when associated with an opportunity. Although everything seems to functioning correctly on the remote DB, and the update did apply when checking under "Help" "About", I did receive an error "Hotfix failed to apply" at the end of the update, not sure how severe this is or if I should consider a clean install?

The only other issue I am seeing is that I cannot change the name of an opportunity in the host database (tried multiple browsers) without being logged out, it does say that the error was logged, interestingly this does not happen when making an opportunity name change from ios safari on iphone, I just addressed this under the same ticket number, hopefully hear from someone soon.

Quick update:

I had special characters "<" & ">" in my opportunity names, when these are removed I do not get logged out when making a name change on the host (browser).

Only thing left is that Hotfix error, do you think I should address that by way of clean install, or just leave it for now unless I experience additional problems?

Administrator

Hi Jay,

The message "Hotfix failed to apply" is usually caused by Act being open when applying the updating. If the update shows as applied in Help > About Act, then you can safely ignore the message.

Greatly appreciate it Gary, thank you!