Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunities -- almost impossible to edit because of slow speed

Tuned Listener

Opportunities -- almost impossible to edit because of slow speed

[ Edited ]

We are running a database with approximately 48,000 contacts and 71,000 Opportunities.  Working with Opportunities is painfully slow.  It takes well over 90 seconds after selecting the Opportunity List view for it to load.  Adding and removing opportunities takes several minutes with each iteration.  We are running Act 2010 Premium and we have installed hotfix 3.

Is anyone else having this type of problem?  Are there any plans to address this?

Message Edited by sklinghoffer on 10-20-2009 02:22 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opportunities -- almost impossible to edit because of slow speed

Would you provide more information? Local database or server? Machine specs, especially RAM and hard drive RPM, and operating system? Hve you tried a different database like ACT! Demo?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

We are running this on a Microsoft Server 2003 R2 with a Xeon 2.33 Ghz cpu and 4 GB of Ram.  Storage is on a newly installed Dlink San.  I do not have easy access to the drive specs. 

We tested Act! Demo which is on my local work station and the opportunity functions were quite responsive.  Obviously, this is a much smaller database.

I would try running the ACT! demo from the server rather than the local drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I did try running the ACT! demo from the server rather than the local drive and found opportunity access to be quite fast.  To summarize the larger database runs painfully slowly on the server when performing functions on or with opportunities and the smaller demo database performs these same functions very fast also on the server.  It seems the problem is related to size.  Again, I did install hotfix 3 and I have run database maintenance, neither of which has improved the slow response time in working with opportunities.

From the information you've provided, the main issue would appear to be with the ACT! database and MSSQL. Because you posted to the board for the premium version, I assume you are using the premium version but I'm guessing that you are using Sequel Express rather than Sequel Standard. While your hardware specs are outstanding, Sequel Express doesn't take full advantage of them. You have a couple of options, upgrade to the ACT! version that includes Sequel Standard or if you already own and have Sequel Standard installed and you are using ACT! 2009 or 2010, you can manually link ACT! to use your Sequel Standard. That should improve your performance.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

We finally got Sequel Standard 2008 running properly and changed Act over from Express.  Unfortunately, we are getting exactly the same slow performance issue.  (Yes, we are running the premium version.)  Going to opportunity list view takes approximately 1 minutes 15 seconds before the screen comes up.  If we click on add/remove opportunities from within the opportunities tab . . . the program just goes on forever.  It takes over10 minutes before the process completes and the window fully paints.  None of our users have the patience to wait.

We have now cut our opportunities down from 70k+ to just under 60k also with no effect on performance.  Any other ideas what we can do to improve performance or should we conclude that Act 2010 just down perform as promised -- at least with respect to opportunities?