Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunities With Products and Different Closing Dates

Copper Contributor

Opportunities With Products and Different Closing Dates

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way to use opportunities for my business.  Often times, there may be 3 products/services assigned to an opportunity for a prospect.  So I create the opportunity, then add each product/service in the list for that specific opportunity.

The main issue I run into is that some times they will have different expected closing dates for each product.  Maybe the prospect decides to go ahead with one product right away, and hold off on the other for 3-6 months.  How are you handling this? Is there any way to add fields to the Product Fields where I could possibly create a date field to capture when that particular product might close?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opportunities With Products and Different Closing Dates

For the situation that you describe the only way would be to create a separate opportunity for each product. The product table is a subordinate table to the opportunity table and there isn't any option to add fields to the product table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

Roy - I acknowledge your vast experience with Act! but have just added a Closing Date field to the Product table through the Define Fields.

Why do you say that this isn't possible?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

David is correct. I was just able to add the field to the product list table. Awesome. Thanks.
Platinum Elite Contributor

My bad, I posted the answer without double checking. It was late evening and I got lazy. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

You can add fields but the problem is that you cannot close down the opportunity when you have a mix of open and closed products so the forecast part of ACT does not work. If you can live with that then great.