Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening databases on 2nd machine

Tuned Listener

Opening databases on 2nd machine

So far I have not been able to get remote databases sync to work so I just tried connecting across my 2 node network to a database on the 2nd machine - no luck there either. This is with or without firewalls.

Everything else works across both machines. Files can be read and written across both machines without a problem on any drive and in any directory. UAC is off on both. I am sure it is a Vista problem or a SQL server problem. Under Mcafee SQL has full permissions. I have treid both local and network logon on SQL.

Re: Opening databases on 2nd machine

Vista can be weird at times.  If most cases, the Windows firewall has to be enabled and you will need to add SQL and ACT! exclusions.  Follow the knowledge base articles below.

How to Add ACT! by Sage and the SQL Instance to the Exception List for Windows® Firewall

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check ...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

Hi cannot share on the Lan either - I tried installing and sharing Business Contact Manager and that sets up without a problem. There seems to be no clear instructions on setting permissions where as on BCM intsallation all this is done for you on sharing.

Tuned Listener

Mike I get an error to say that the file is not accessible "You do not have permission to open this file" all the folders have full access permissions and I have tried putting sharing permissions on the PAD file also. If I extend the permissions to full access across the whole user directory then Act on the home machine cannot open the file either and I have uninstall and re-install Act to repair this.

BCM shares and syncs without a problem which I isntalled just to test things out.

Cannot get network sync to work either. Both Sharing and sync worked fine on earlier versions on XP. I tried installing XP on both machines as an alternative boot but there are not the drivers available to make this work. It is Vista that is the problem but Sage need to provide a full setup instruction set.

I think my long term strategy is going to be MAC at this rate.

Is that the exact error?

Is the PAD file on the server machine or the local machine?

Open the PAD file in notespad and post the contents

Tuned Listener

The database and pad file are all on the 2nd machine and Acxt is loaded on both machines. Originally I had a master and a synched copy and cannot get this to work. So trying to share the database was the other option and with share enabled or with sole access I cannot open a remote database on a 2nd machine and that goes in both directions.

Have you gone through all of the items in the two articles posted by David above?
Tuned Listener

PAD File reads

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="ActContacts" host="HOMEOFFICE" location="C:\Users\Patrick\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows 11\Databases\ActContacts.ADF" type="Sql" />