Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

One of my remote users deleted 1,000 records

One of my remote users deleted 1,000 records

One of my remote users deleted almost a 1,000 records from our shared database on April 9 and did not tell me.  Since then all other remote users have synced with the exception of one (for once I give this guy credit for his sloth). :-)

Here is my angle of attack to get the 1,000 records back, please tell me if this will work.  

Have everybody with the exception of the delayed-sync remote user sync once last time so all their updates will be posted in the parent database.

Next sign in as the administrator on my delayed-sync remote user's database and cut a new remote database.

Restore the new remote on my desktop where the parent database resides - the one with the missing 1,000 records.

[And here is the trick question.]

Next import the old parent database into the new one.  Will this work, or will I lose the 1,000 records again?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: One of my remote users deleted 1,000 records

Here is how I would tackle this as I am unsure how ACT will react when you next sync the copied records which are now flagged as deleted in the remote databases.

Take the remote database that is intact. Back it up. Restore it on the server as a new database and this becomes your new master database.

Now using lookup Lookup Contact Activity in the old server database select all records that have been updated since the last time that the user we created the server database synced. Now you can copy these into the new database and include Other Users Activities. As the deleted records are not in this database your should end up with a completely updated database including those deleted with no legacy problems.

Cut new remotes and place on the laptops etc. Now everyone will have the database and updated records.

Only disadvantage is that it is a lot work. I would make the errant deleater pay for your beer and sandwiches while you do the work!

Wonderful, thank you for the help.  I do have a question, though, regarding "copy these into the new database and include Other Users Activities."

First, I go to "Lookup" and then to "Contact Activity."  I pick the radio button "Changed" and use the day before my guy deleted the records, 4/9/2010.  I leave all the checks in (Contact fields, notes, etc.).  I say okay and end up with 5,360 changes.

I am not sure where to go from here, is this in import or something  --  to get them into the new parent database?  Also, where do I specify "Other Users Activities"?

(Since what you describe does sound like an arduous task, I just want to make sure I get it right on the first try.)  :-)  

Again, my thanks for the quick response and help.

Platinum Super Contributor

Once you have your Lookup results by Contact Activity, you will use the Export function (File > Export) and as you go through the Wizard - select 'Current Lookup'.  Here is a document that will help with the Export screens: Best Practices for Import/Export an Act! database from one to another

Note: Since your database formats (fields and users) are already identical, you'll be able to skip most of the setup steps in the document.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you, seems simple enough, I guess I was just getting gun shy.

If it helps settle your nerves... Ch1p's recommendation leaves your original Remote (that contains the 1000 contacts) and your original Publisher (main database) intact, so you can't lose any data. 
Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks Greg for adding the export link.

Just one thing to add before you do this - Backup - just in case - your new Master database BEFORE doing the export from the old database.

Good Luck.

Great, thanks again.

Quick question, in reviewing the documentation I spied the following:  "Each User with Private Contacts or Activities must login to both the Source and Target databases to import or export their data."

Is this necessary?  I thought I read in a prior post it is not since I am working from the same database -  with the same users.

If your users are setting items to Private, then your username will not have access to that data and will not be able to import/export it.  You'll need to find out if they are using the 'Private' option or not. 

You can double check in the database by signing in as each user and then looking at the Contact List and Task List - default settings have a column showing if a contact/activity are set to Private.  The hard part to see is if they have made notes/history items Private, there isn't a way to list those out.

If you have numerous users, it may be easier to alter the plan just a little.  Instead of doing the Lookup by Contact Activity in the original Publisher/main database, you can do it in the restored copy of the remote and export from that restored database into the original Publisher database.  If you decide to go this route you will absolutely want to make a backup of the main database before exporting into it.

Greg Martin
Sage

Okay, Greg, will give it a try.  Thank you.