Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office 2013 Issue (not 2016)

Nickel Super Contributor

Office 2013 Issue (not 2016)

Since Act! V18, I have been having issues with embedded images on my templates (my signature) not being correctly placed when merging a template to an Outlook email.  Image files were getting attached instead of embedded into the body.

Apparently, the issue was fixed in update 1 for v19.2

Tried to apply the 19.2 Update 1 but got an error that I did not have the correct version. I DID have the correct version but bad data in the registry was claiming I was still on v18.

I uninstalled Act! v19.2 and redownloaded the recent with update 1.

Did installation and now when trying to merge an email or a word processor template, I get this error:

---------------------------
Act!
The given assembly name or codebase, 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Act.UI.Widgets\v4.0_19.2.146.0__ebf6b2ff4d0a08aa\Act.UI.Widgets.dll', was invalid.
OK  

Where do I go from here?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Office 2013 Issue (not 2016)

Run a repair of Office as this is the most likely  quick fix for the problem. 

Nickel Super Contributor

It ended up fixing itself from multiple reboots.

Thanks!

Administrator

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you were able to resolve the error you ran into.

Unfortunately, I believe the original issue you were experiencing (images appearing as attachments on merged templates) is currently still outstanding for users of Office 2013 and 2016. The fix that was included in v19.2 update 1 was only for users of Office 2010.
We're currently still working on a fix for users of Office 2013 and later. I'm sorry for any confusion, and thanks for your patience on this issue.
Nickel Super Contributor

Gary,

This has been an serious issue since Act! v18.0!

Since then, Swiftpage have come out with v18.1, 18.2, 19.0,19.1 and now 19.2.

These don't include all of the hotfixes in between either.

Is it that hard to simply fix the issue with a hotfix?  Why fix it for Office 2010 only?

Most people are on Office 2013 or 2016 now.

This is very disheartening that Swiftpage doesn't see this as a priority. 

Administrator

Hi Scott,

This issue is currently one of our top priorities (amongst some other Outlook integration issues). We've been working on this issue for some time now, and with the extended research, we found that the issue could be resolved for users of Office 2010, however we've identified that more significant changes are required to resolve this for users of Office 2013 and 2016. These versions have a very different underlying cause for the problem.

We do have a few further avenues to explore in terms of 'fixes' to the issue. Beyond this however, a full rewrite of the feature will need to be planned. I'll be clear that this will not be a quick process, as we would need to ensure as much parity with the existing functionality as possible, and minimum disruption to customers with existing custom templates.

Work on this issue is ongoing as part of our current Act! v20 project, although we plan to create an earlier update we can make available to customers, We do however need this first stage of work to complete before the feasibility and timescale of an update can be determined.

I appreciate this is very frustrating, and we are looking at options to accelerate the above work.
Nickel Super Contributor

I hope you understand that, in some cases, customers have created hundreds of letter templates and can't use them in email merges with Outlook. This affects both the Act! WP templates AND MS Word templates. Since the function works correctly in Act! v17 and below, I find it hard to believe you have not been able to fix in v18 and v19 since the email integration is the same program.....
Administrator

I assure you we are aware of the severity of the problem, and how this defect is affecting the workflow of many users.

There is a workaround for this issue that is viable in some environments.
By using the Act ! E-mail editor, the emails will send without any images attached, and the selected image will appear in-line as intended.

• This can be set up in Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > E-mail System Setup > Step 4
  • Select Act E-mail Editor in the first dropdown

This will change the default email editor when clicking the email button in Act, however this can quickly be changed back to Outlook after completing your mail merge.

Alternatively, Act! emarketing can be used for designing and sending templates containing images for free to up to 500 different contacts a month.