Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office 2010 and ACT! 2011 Premium

Office 2010 and ACT! 2011 Premium

Hi All,

We have a strange issue. We recently upgraded from ACT! 2010 to 2011 to allow a rollout of Office 2010. We have a user that is now unable to open Office attachments that were created in ACT! 2010 and Office 2007. I have confirmed that the user can open these attachments outside of ACT! with no issues. The user is able to open attachments created with Office 2010 and ACT! 2011 with no problems.

Anyone seen and solved this?

Regards,

Matt

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Office 2010 and ACT! 2011 Premium

Hello Matt917k,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

Are you getting an error message when trying to open the attachments?

What is the operating system of the computer?

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply, yes there is an error message, different for excel and word, but I'm guessing a symptom of the same problem.

Excel reports; "Excel cannot open the file 'our file name.xlsx' because the file format or extension is not valid. Verfiy that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

Word reports; "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privilages"

Both files are accessible to the user and open without error outside of ACT!.

I would note that both file names have non standard charactres and spaces, used to work OK in ACT! 2010 though.

Regards,

Matt

Platinum Super Contributor

The files that are giving the errors - are these actual attachments or shortcuts to the files. 

If they are attached, have you tried opening them from the 'yourdatabasename-database files/Attachments' folder? 

For the 'database files' folder - go ahead and set the security for that folder and add 'Everyone / Full Control' (since Word is giving an authority type message).

Greg Martin
Sage

Apologies, other priorities put this on the back-burner!

They are attachments, and local to the users PC. I should mention this is a remote user who sync's with the main database. The user is able to open the files locally outside of ACT!, the user can also open the synced file on the remote server outside of ACT!. The only issue is when the use try's to open the file inside of ACT!.

I would also mention the user has Admin privileges for the database.

Our ACT! consultant is stumped, so it's down to me to sort this one.