Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object Reference Error (While attempting to perform a lookup)

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Object Reference Error (While attempting to perform a lookup)

I have searched this forum and the ACT knowledgebase without finding an answer to this particular issue.  I get the error "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I am attempting to lookup a contact (or any other lookup function).  I am running a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP2 with ACT Premium 2009.  I have several different databases on this machine, all have the same issue.  I did not have Outlook installed when I first noticed this issue, but I installed it and attempted the detect / repair with no change.  As I said, this is a clean install of Windows and ACT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Object Reference Error (While attempting to perform a lookup)

Rebooting did not fix the error.  I just went ahead and uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled.  That fixed all the problems.  Thank's for trying to help gmartin, I really do appreciate the effort!

I am not sure that this problem is solved, but I see no reason why the thread can't be closed.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Are you the only user in the databases?  If not, does anyone else have this issue?

Assuming you are the only user and because it is affecting all of your databases, it could be corrupted Act! Preference files causing the issue.  Look at this link for instructions for deleting your Act! Preference files (they are recreated when you reopen Act!): Recreate Preferences/Mini Calendars

Pay close attention to the first steps for backing up your email system if you are not integrated with Outlook (if integrated with Outlook, it is not an issue).  And I recommend that you skip to the section entitled 'Alternate Solution' and select 'Manually Delete Act! Preferences'.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

On Friday, I tried deleting the preferences and when I restarted ACT it had no effect.  Today (Monday) ACT will not open at all.  It immediatly gives me the error "ACT by Sage has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvienence."

I tried deleting the preferences again, but that changed nothing.  Any suggestions?  Would it be easier for me to remove and reinstall ACT?

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Are you still having the problem?  Have you tried rebooting the computer?

If you are familiar with the Event Viewer, it may be able to give you a better idea of the cause of this error.  To access it: right click on the My Computer icon > select Manage > you will see Event Viewer listed under the System Tools area.  Look in the Application and System subfolders for errors. 

Without knowing the reason for the message it would be hard to say if a reinstall will help or not. 

Greg Martin
Sage
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Rebooting did not fix the error.  I just went ahead and uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled.  That fixed all the problems.  Thank's for trying to help gmartin, I really do appreciate the effort!

I am not sure that this problem is solved, but I see no reason why the thread can't be closed.

Thanks!