Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

OLE DB Link to ACT 2009

OLE DB Link to ACT 2009

I'm wondering if there's any way to connect an OLE DB to ACT and run reports from ACT that include that data source. Any third-party tools to help with this or does ACT just not have the ability to do it?

Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Re: OLE DB Link to ACT 2009

Take a look at this knowledge base article: How to Manually Start OLEDB
Simon Hales
Sr. Commercial Marketing Manager
Swiftpage

That's actually the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I don't want to access my ACT database through another program (like Excel). I'd like to use another database (.odc) I have in conjunction with ACT to create reports in ACT. Basically, I'd like to access an external data source in ACT. I haven't read anything on that subject anywhere, which makes me think that it's not possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case someone else has heard of a way to do it.
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ACT! reports presently use fixed data source modules and don't provide an option for an OLEDB connection to another database. You should be able to do what you want using Crystal Reports.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps with the pending release of ACT! 2010 and the new OLEDB 2.0, perhaps that function may be available. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately the ACT! reports for ACT! 2010 still retains the fixed data sourcing so there isn't any way to incorporate an outside data source. This is really painful for me because I can't even access the expanded opportunities information using the ACT! reports. As recently as the Insights testing, I was assured that it would be in the final release but when the beta did not change the data sourcing I questioned why and was told that they couldn't complete it in time for the release. Maybe a follow up 12.1 release.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129