Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Number of total Databases Question

Number of total Databases Question

Hello everyone, 

I am pretty new to ACT. I am using this for my Commercial Real Estate business. I am wondering what people suggest in respect to the number of Databases is realistic to maintain OR if having just one Database is better...

I have a large database of about 18,000 people for general prospecting. 

I have a smaller database of about 400 people that are more local to me, I met a lot of these people in person, they are industry professionals I know, other agents in my office, etc...This is also the Database that has the Commercial template I purchased as well.

I have another database of about 600 that are potential prospects, but they are from lists I have complied on my own, etc.

What does the community suggest here? Should these all be combined into one? How should I differentiate? Should I use groups?

I am looking for ACT Best practices here. Thank you all for your help in advance!!!!

Employee

Re: Number of total Databases Question

Hi,

From a technical aspect Act! by default uses SQL Express 2014 for its database engine.
Microsoft SQL Server Express is limited to 10 gigabyte of information.

-C

Thanks Carl...I don't anticipate having that much data size wise.

I am just looking for what is best from an organizational stand point?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unless you have a specific need such as a business database and an separate database for an organization you're a member of (for example I'm the treasurer of our HOA and have a separate database for that), use a single database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

@Roy_Laudenslager Thank you for the reply. In large databases of say 20,000-30,000+ records the idea is to use groups to differentiate the types of leads/contacts you have? Thank you again!!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Groups would be used to easily lookup specific segments of your database. In fact I occasionally create a temporary group to save a specific lookup that I want to refer to in the future. Tip for working with the members of a group, on the tree in the group screen right click on the group name and pick Create Lookup from the context menu.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129