Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Notes/History report runs off the page

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Notes/History report runs off the page

Hello, I'm using ACT v16 with all the newest updates on a windows 7 ultimate 64bit computer. The problem we have been having is that when we create a Notes/History report that includes an email, it prints off the page and does not wrap to the next page. I really don't know how to explain it any better, so here is a link to an image of the issue.

[img]http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1060919/fullsize/act-image.jpg[/img]

I apologize if this site does not allow links. Here are instructions of what we do when trying to print the Notes/History report. We first select "Reports" from the main menu, then select "Notes/History". In the window that comes up under the "General" tab, you can select any output, any contact and any user. Under the "Note" tab, select "Notes", you can select any date range and any contact. Under the "History" tab, select "History", "E-mail" and "Attachments". You can select any date range and any user. Once you click on "OK" and the report runs, any page that has a longer email runs over the double lines at the bottom, right off the page and will not continue onto the next page. This has been a problem on the last several version of ACT now. it happens on any database, new or old, and on any computer from windows xp to 8.1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dmanic
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Notes/History report runs off the page

That is an issue with the underlying report engine for the ACT! reports. When the report starts processing the field data for a report and formatting the output pages, it first checkes to see if there is enough room left on the page for the data, if not, it starts a new page and prints the data even if it won't fit on the page. As you see the printing will run off the bottom on the page. There isn't any way to have a page break within the printing of a single field. Pages are created dynamically at print time.

I have created custom versions of reports that include Notes and History to minimize the problem. Namely it requires putting the Note or History details on a separate line so the line can be expanded to the full width of the page. Because of word wrap this allows more of any one history or note to print on the page. But if that doesn't provide enough space you will still see some items run off the bottom of the page.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author dmanic
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

That is an issue with the underlying report engine for the ACT! reports. When the report starts processing the field data for a report and formatting the output pages, it first checkes to see if there is enough room left on the page for the data, if not, it starts a new page and prints the data even if it won't fit on the page. As you see the printing will run off the bottom on the page. There isn't any way to have a page break within the printing of a single field. Pages are created dynamically at print time.

I have created custom versions of reports that include Notes and History to minimize the problem. Namely it requires putting the Note or History details on a separate line so the line can be expanded to the full width of the page. Because of word wrap this allows more of any one history or note to print on the page. But if that doesn't provide enough space you will still see some items run off the bottom of the page.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Roy,

Thank you for the information. Could you possibly let me know how you set the option to have the note/history print on a separate line. I know that notes/history used to print fine, way back on version 6.xx, but hasn’t worked for us since.

Thanks again for your help

To get the details to print on a separate line requires editing the report template to create a custom version of the report. It basically requires restructuring how the template is designed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy,

Thanks again, and i understand that i would have to customize the report, but you had mentioned a line of where you put the Note/History.  That is what i was asking about. it sounded like there was a simple line you could enter for the notes/history. If it too much information to put here, i understand.

Roy_Laudenslage wrote:

To get the details to print on a separate line requires editing the report template to create a custom version of the report. It basically requires restructuring how the template is designed.

It requires modifying the report template and and placing the details on a separate line int he template. The reports aren't like a word processor, they are a structure of objexts used as program commands to the database. It's a relatively simple modification to the report template if you are familiar with the report editor.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes, I’m familiar. I will look into putting it on a separate line. Do you know if they will be attempting a fix for this?

There won't be any fix because the underlying report engine is working as designed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That's odd, because it used to work perfect for us in version 6.xx, which i realize was a lifetime ago, but seems odd.

thank you for all your help!

Version 6 used a different report editor which I know, from experience, had many problems that couldn;t be fixed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129