Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not able to open template in Word

Astute Commentator

Not able to open template in Word

When opening a template through "Text --> Other document (from template)..." the template should open in Microsoft Word 2010 (32-bit).
But it only opens every third or fourth try. Most of the time I get greeted by a gray screen (see pictures).

act1.pngact2.png

The strange thing is, that it works perfectly fine in about 25% of the cases.
Any idea on how to fix this? I'm running Windows 7 x64 if that helps.

More detailled information about the Microsoft Office version:

act3.png

Administrator

Re: Not able to open template in Word

Hi There,

Does the issue affect every .adt file that you open, or just specific ones?
If Word is left open, and you open another template document from within Act, does the issue still occur?
Astute Commentator

It affects every .adt file.
If I remember correctly, having Word open sadly does not solve the issue.

I find it really strange that it works every few tries.
I did observe the following:

1. When it works, a green loading bar appears that says "formal letter". After the bar is full it says "Successfully merged document" and Word opens the template in compability mode.

2. In those cases where opening the template fails the loading bar appears too but only for maybe 1 second. It doesn't get filled at all, disappears immediately and Word opens as shown in the screenshot.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

It happens with every template and if I remember correctly it doesn't matter whether or not Word is opened (I only work once a week, will test it as soon as I'm in the office again though).

What I observed is that a loading bar openes saying something about form letters. In a successful attempt the loading bar fills up, says that it succesfully merged the file and word opens the template in compabilitymode.

In all unsuccessful attempts the loading bar pops up for about one second, disappears immediately without a single percent filled and it opens Word with a grey window (see pictures in opening post) and without document name.

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

I've opened Word and then tried opening the ADT-Template. It didn't have any effect. It still only works in 25-33% of the cases.

The only thing I could add is the fact that IF it opens the document is opened in compability mode AND it's just called "Document 1" (instead of the correct name).

Astute Commentator

[ Edited ]

I did find something in the Windows Event Manager:

Everytime the error occurs there is this log (called Information) in "Windows Protocols\Application".

Source: MSSQL$ACT7

Login failed for user 'xxx'. Reason: Failed to open the explicitly specified database. [CLIENT: 192.168.1.xxx]

I should add that the templates are on a file server. I have tried to open them after copying one of the files onto the hard disk but I didn't make any difference.

EDIT: A new log like this is created every 10 seconds (I don't think it is related to me opening a template).

Administrator

Hi There,

When word opens in compatibility mode and calls it document1, this is normal behaviour and is working as designed.

As for the error, I'm not familiar with this message. I would suggest running though the usual troubleshooting methods:

• Running both Act and Word as Administrator in Windows
  • Disabling UAC
  • Re-register redemption.dll - Follow the steps in this article
  • Changing macro security settings and re-creating normal.dot - Follow the steps in the relevant sections in this article
  • Running Microsoft Office repairs
Astute Commentator

Hi Gary W,

I followed all your steps and sadly it's still not working :/
I've also reinstalled Office 2010 Home and Busniess and also reinstalled ACT! Premium v17.

When attempting to open a template from within ACT! it now says: "This command is not available because there is no document opened."

Administrator

We do have a Knowledgebase article on this error (also applicable to desktop installs): http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34333
Does the error occur even on a templates with no images or tables?

If this does not solve the issue, I would suggest giving our support team a call to look into this issue in more detail.