Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No e-mail histories recorded to Users of the database records - only to contact records outside of our user group and Global Address Book

Tuned Listener

No e-mail histories recorded to Users of the database records - only to contact records outside of our user group and Global Address Book

Before you read on, the act.outlook.service.exe is running appropriately. and most of my e-mail histories are being recorded.

However, we continue to have a problem recording history to users of our database who are also part of the Global Address Book of our Exchange server.  Has anyone experienced this?  Can you suggest any solution to that issue?  This problem has plagued us since ACT 2006 (version 8) and right now I'm running a test trial of ACT 2010 using a copy of our database and my live e-mail profile.  We were told that the integration between ACT and Outlook is seamless in ACT 2010, but I've also been told that I'll be fired (!!) if it doesn't work reliably in this version.  That's why I'm doing an individual 30-day live trial before rolling it out to all users. 

Although ACT has most of what we need in a Contact Management software, the problem with the reliable recording of history is a deal breaker.  I don't relish going out to the market to try to find something else that will work as well - all the way down to all of the PDA's, Blackberries, and Smart Phones that we have.

Christine Kearns, Office Manager
Tuned Listener

Re: No e-mail histories recorded to Users of the database records - only to contact records outside of our user group and Global Address Book

Additional information for my post from yesterday - it seems that there is a connection between the format of the e-mail address and the successful attachment to historyI can successfully attached e-mails with this format John Doe <johndoe@domain.com> versus John Doe (johndoe@domain.com).

The only difference between the two is the use of brackets < > as opposed to parens ( ).  It seems like this wouldn't be a problem, but what I've found is that e-mails with the bracket format will attach histories to contact records, whereas e-mails in the paren format will not

Anyone have any idea if there is some kind of configuration setting within Outlook, the Exchange Server, ACT or otherwise that will help set the default format to be one way or the other so all e-mails will attach to historyI'm stumped!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: No e-mail histories recorded to Users of the database records - only to contact records outside of our user group and Global Address Book

Is the issue with attaching outgoing messages, incoming messages (using Outlook rules), or manual/Quick Attach? Or all three?

You can check the attachment progress screen to see what the reason is for the emails not attaching:

- Look for a white envelope with a red "x" in your system tray (lower right by system clock)

- Right-click on it select "Show Progress"

- Look under the "Not Attached Messages" tab and find some emails that have not attached

- Use the slidebar to scroll to the right and view the Status column to see the reason the emails did not attach

ACT! 2010 uses the email address to match the contact to the message.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Re: No email histories recorded to Users of the database records - only to contact records outside of our user group and Global Address Book

The problem I'm experiencing is with outgoing e-mails.  The quick attach seems to work fine, although I don't use it very much.

I never knew about the attachment progress screen.  Is this new to ACT 2010?  Anyway, sure enough there are 15 days worth of unattached messages there (since the beginning of my 30-day trial).  In most cases the 'TO' field in the Not Attached Messages table is blank.  (Except a couple e-mails that I sent to people who aren't in the database, and ultimately don't need to be).  Clearly I'm not sending emails to no one - they end up in my Sent folder of Outlook, but since ACT doesn't recognize the format for some reason, that must be why they show up as "emails to no one!"  Any suggestions?

I'm also having trouble with the consistency of  meeting requests, and acceptances thereof, recording to both the Outlook and ACT calendars.  Have you any advice on that?  This is a big deal also because users to our database continually receive Outlook meeting requests from clients, etc.  Our users accept the request and it's written to their Outlook calendars, and makes it to their PDA's, Blackberries and SmartPhones.  However, the item does not go their ACT calendar and therefore the support staff is constantly unaware of meetings that are taking place, or overbooking a time slot because they didn't know about what is on the Outlook calendars.  Our Outlook/ACT sync via CompanionLink goes only one direction (ACT to Outlook) because we're filtering down the database contacts to manageable user groups for PDA's, Blackberries and SmartPhones.