Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

No Gmail Support?

No Gmail Support?

I tried ACT! 2010. The deal breaker was the lack of Gmail or any othe mail system except Outlook. Now ACT! 2011 has arrived and I still must use Outlook for mail? You are asking $350 bucks for software that doesn't include features that a lot of $50 programs have?

I am somewhat baffled at this logic. If I spend that kind of money on a contact manager, it should be able to access gmail. This is 2010. Otherwise it's a tempting purchase. Are there any plans for a hotfix or something to that effect?

Silver Contributor

Re: No Gmail Support?

Your only option is to set gmail for pop 3 and use ACT internet mail which is included. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Super Contributor

qbryant wrote:

You are asking $350 bucks for software that doesn't include features that a lot of $50 programs have?

I'd love to see the list of $50 programs that do all that Act! does plus offer gmail "access", so would my clients...

Please share.

[ Edited ]

@ mscott821 -There are two programs on my computer that do most of what I need, which is quite a bit. I wanted to go with Act! For the added functions I was looking for. I will PM you the names and links. I guess my problem was that with so many people no longer using Outlook, coupled with the HUGE user base of Gmail, ssl email has almost become standard. I am shocked that Sage still is tied so closely to Outlook, or at least be willing to give you another option, that's all. But while I'm at it...i've found that Act! also can't import calendar files,  you must import them into outlook and then have Act! import from Outlook, which works only half the time.But the cheaper software does a direct import.

I am not picking on Act, heck I know at least two other large programs that wave around the "Close Outlook Intergration" flag. and for many that's fine. But for the increasing numbers who for whatever reason don't use Outlook, it leaves us wondering, is this it's own software, or just a Outlook helper.

Nickel Super Contributor

You can set up Gmail to work with ACT Email Client using Internet Mail, right?

Most people using the Premium version of ACT! (which is this forum) are using Outlook.  Users have been begging for tighter Outlook integration for years.  Not many businesses that use ACT! Premium are using Gmail for Email.

Michael Matthews
Bridge Concepts, Inc.
Fort Worth, TX
www.bridgeconcepts.com

Yes, it took a while to get working. If anyone else does it, here's a tip...you have to go to your gmail account and disable the ssl. If not, no matter what you do...it won't work. Well during my expansion, I will learn something. But we will soon almost double in size as a company and I am exploring my options. I can probably stay with what I am using now and be fine. I like to have as much as possible in one program. With all that I have written, believe it or not, I really like ACT! Lots of great features I could use, the jury is still out. As for outlook intergration, we just don't have a need.

Copper Contributor

I guess those of us who ARE using Google Apps now instead of the Exchange/Outlook or even Outlook/pop3 should probably speak up here and let our voices be heard. 

We've switched from Exchange to Google Apps.  Saved lots of money and headache in the process, except in the area of Act.  I've done a lot of searching for web based crm's that will work for us, but alas, there are none with ALL the right features.  There are plenty that do things that Act does, but WAY better, however, they lack in some of the other obvious areas, so they're not yet an alternative.  I think Act is in for a big surprise once one of these web based CRM companies flesh out the rest of their apps.  

I digress... back to the point of this thread.  If Act would just add the ability for us to choose the email port (instead of assuming port 25) and allow an SSL connection, this would be solved.  This really is an easy fix.  Not sure why it's not been addressed yet. 

I'd like to add to the request for direct integration with GMail/Google Apps as well. 

It is true that for years users have been demanding better Outlook integration however Outlook is already yesterdays technology and while there are many people still using it, I suspect there are many who wouldn't if they had a choice.  Since ACT duplicates many of Outlook's features there isn't much in Outlook that's really needed.  It's a shame that my customers can't click on a customer email address in an ACT Contact record and pull up a Google email compose window with the email address pre-populated, rather than a MAPI call that opens Outlook compose window.  This shouldn't be hard to implement.   Doing so would allow us to remove our dependency on Outlook and the costs associated with purchasing it and supporting it .

Microsoft Office Integration is less useful for us than Google Apps integration would be if we could get it.   The future is the cloud and Sage would benefit themselves by embracing it as soon as possible.

Bryan

I agree. I used ACT! Years ago and recently decided to come back because of the outlook integration. But after using it for 30 days I have grown tired of the poor performance with ACT!/Outlook running simultaneously and the limitations of a local install. I want to get functionality if aCT on my laptop and my Droid X without the limitations. I would move 100% to gmail if ACT would permit it. What it sounds like is that ACT may be blindsided by the competition if they don't start listening by their customers and what is happening in the industry. ACT users Unite!