Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newbie who need help upgrading ACT

Newbie who need help upgrading ACT

Hello!

I was recently hired as "The IT Guy" at a small company..
Its one of those position where you learn as you go, except i have no one training me, haha.

Anyways, we are currently using ACT premium 2011 and we just purchased the upgrade to 2012.
I have read over some technical directions for the upgrade process, but there is some things that i want to be sure of before i go on and do it.

We have 1 ACT database on our SQL server (i have been told by the old guy there was 2, one for sales, and one for project managers, but I'm only seeing one database..), i already made a backup of the database, do i need to backup anything else? Contact information is included in the database backup, right?
We have about 16 people to have access to that database, and as far as i can tell the old guy has us set up using network sync to keep everything current.

My main problem is that i have never needed to do this before.. can someone possibly give me a dumbed down check list... Like i said, i backed up the database, and now i honestly have no clue what i should do next...

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. 
Thanks guys, i look forward to figuring this out!

Re: Newbie who need help upgrading ACT

Anyone?

Nickel Super Contributor

After making sure you have a good backup (add a phony contact, then see if you can restore from your backup), it is a best practice to uninstall ACT!, then reboot.  From there, you should be able to install ACT! - make sure you meet the system requirements, that you have all pertinent Windows and Office updates, that any Office products are installed prior to installing ACT!.  Once the new program is installed, you should be able to open the existing database.  It will be verified and then you should be good to go.  If you have any remote users (which I assume you do since you referenced network syns), they will have to follow the same procedure and upgrade their remote databases.  If you need more help than this, feel free to contact one of the ACT! Certified Consultants -- any of us would be glad to help.  This could be a good opportunity to review the data that you are capturing from clients/prospects/vendors - see if there are any changes or modifications that need to be made in the layout design or database design, etc.  Good luck, Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Nickel Super Contributor

Honestly, I think you are in over your head especially if sync is involved, but here are the broad steps - you can get specific details by following the guide that is included with the installation media and/or searching the knowledgebase at kb.sagesoftwareonline.com which is trememdously helpful.

Also, I would run actdiag on the server and look at the database list there - assuming it's in use, that will help you quickly identify whether you're dealing with one or two DB's.

-> Back up the DB

-> Run the network sync service UI and make a note of the settings

-> Go into tools, preferences and go through everything there and make a note of the settings (especially do this on the workstations, the server is not necessarily going to have all the preferences set the way users need them)

-> Run the ACT! scheduler and make a note of the settings (for automatic backup and maintenance)

-> Uninstall the Network Sync Service, uninstall ACT! 2011

-> reboot, install ACT! 2012, install and configure the Network Sync Service, configure the ACT! scheduler for backups and maintenance

-> do the same uninstall, reboot, install for each user's workstation, configure the workstation, test sync

I hope that's a good start in the right direction.  As Brenda mentioned you may want to pull in an ACC if even just to take care of the server and get you going on the workstations yourself.  We work with IT all the time because ACT! is such a different beast compared to other application.

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training

Thanks for the input guys!

We actually decided to bring in a certified consultant!  He will be here in about an hour.
Figured we would rather have everything set up the right way rather than play a guessing game.

Plus, i can watch to see what he does so that next time i will be more prepared to do it myself. 

Nickel Super Contributor

Glad you're getting what you need to get going!

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training